Cannot connect to the backup service RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try to open a backup file on the WHS using the connector software it always gets to 82% then errors with the message "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server".  I've seen this reported plenty of times, and one post from Nov '08 indicated Microsoft isolated the issue and was testing a fix.  I'm guessing the fix didn't work??? 

This issue is happening on every backup file on the WHS and using any PC in the house - Vista Ultimate and XP.  It originally worked but then I had to replace the hard drives.  But I did it correctly - I removed a drive in connector (software), then swapped a new drive (physically), then added the new drive in connector (software).  Lastly, I replaced the primary drive and re-installed WHS using the repair option.  I added 2 storage drives, then I replaced the primary drive and re-installed WHS, then I added a 3rd storage drive.  I'm not absolutely certain of this, but I believe everything worked until I added the 3rd drive.

Currently all my computers backup nightly and my pictures and music are available.  But I can't open backups to do file level restores.  It seems to fail when WHS is trying to emulate a drive.  I'm not sure if this means anything but as I'm attempting to open a backup file, the percentage displayed to the right of the backup file doesn't always match the percentage displayed on my PC.  It starts out the same but at 60% my PC falls behind.  Once WHS shows 100% (82% on my computers) the backup stops and I get the cannot connect... message.

I reinstalled WHS (repair existing installation) - that didn't work.
    I reinstalled all the connector software on every PC - that didn't work.
    I error-checked the hard-drives on WHS - that caused a database inconsistency which was fixed upon clicking "repair" - but it didn't fix the backup service problem.
    I deleted the WHS driver #2 from the device manager on my PC - that didn't work.

I don't know what else to do, and quite honestly I shouldn't have to be doing anything.  I shouldn't have to be on these forums asking strangers why my software doesn't work...but here I am. 

So has anyone resolved this yet?  Is there a hotfix?  Any help would be appreciated.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:51 AM

Answers

• Resolved (by updating SMB driver)

In "Device Manager" I noticed a yellow bang! next to SM Bus.  I searched for nForce 500 drivers for my motherboard, that supported Windows Server 2003.  The nVidia drivers wouldn't install but they did extract onto the WHS hard drive.  I then used "Device Manager" to update the driver, by manually pointing it to the extracted files in the SMB folder.  I rebooted and from my regular PC I logged onto the WHS and tried to open a backup file.  I was quickly prompted to install a driver (which I did) and then watched as the percentage reached 81% and paused a bit - and then continued to 100% and opened the folder.

WHS was installed on a motherboard with an nVidia 570 SLI chipset and an AMD (AM2) processor.  

Bri
    • Marked as answer by Bri _1263_ Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the last patches for Windows Home Server also dealed with some of those scenarios causing opening a backup to stuck at 79 or 81 percent.

Please check the event log of the server (logging in locally or via Remote Desktop) for related error messages around the time, in which opening a backup failed. 

Would be also helpful, to register at Connect (as outlined in the top posting on this forum) and issue a bug report, together with the CABs for the server and the client to help Microsoft to investigate into the reason, which is causing the problem on your server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, February 2, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,
    I signed up for Connections and noticed the problem has been reported there too.  I didn't submit a bug report because it says not to duplicate reports, but I added my validation to the existing bug report.

The only logs I can see are through the toolkit in the connector console.  I wouldn't know where to look if I logged-in via Remote Desktop.  Is there a difference in the log files?
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Bri _1263_ said:

Thanks Olaf,
    I signed up for Connections and noticed the problem has been reported there too.  I didn't submit a bug report because it says not to duplicate reports, but I added my validation to the existing bug report.

The only logs I can see are through the toolkit in the connector console.  I wouldn't know where to look if I logged-in via Remote Desktop.  Is there a difference in the log files?

Hi,

The do not duplicate reports applies to almost all areas except backup.  It's possible that the report you validated may have a different root cause than your issue and the fix we check in for that bug may not apply. Also, if the bug is marked as private for some reason, you will lose the ability to track the issue.

Can you submit your own report with client and server CABs?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Thanks Lara,
    I am submitting a new bug report right now.  I couldn't get the media center PC (Vista Ultimate x86) to give a CAB #.  Not sure why since all the other machines provided one.  It's like it skipped that step and went directly to "press Enter to close this window".  I re-installed the connector software and the toolkit and tried it again but still no CAB #.  I tried to run it in advanced mode but I didn't see a way to send the reports in that window.
    Bri
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Bri _1263_ said:

Thanks Lara,
    I am submitting a new bug report right now.  I couldn't get the media center PC (Vista Ultimate x86) to give a CAB #.  Not sure why since all the other machines provided one.  It's like it skipped that step and went directly to "press Enter to close this window".  I re-installed the connector software and the toolkit and tried it again but still no CAB #.  I tried to run it in advanced mode but I didn't see a way to send the reports in that window.
    Bri

Hi,

The toolkit may fail to send CABs if the logs in the directory are too large. When this happens, it will fail with a -1. 

In any case, if you are unable to submit a CAB from a machine, you can pull the logs from the client by gathering them from the following directories:

XP/MCE 2005 machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista/Windows 7 machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Once you've collected them, please zip them and attach them to the bug on Connect.

Thanks!

Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:27 PM
  • Lara,
    Thank you for the instructions.  I have manually submitted that PC's log files as a single zip file.  Should I expect a response, if so when?  

My biggest concern is, what if the full backups aren't working either, and I won't find out until I need a PC restored?  I am affraid to test a full restore because it if doesn't work then I've trashed a PC.
    Bri
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Bri _1263_ said:

Lara,
    Thank you for the instructions.  I have manually submitted that PC's log files as a single zip file.  Should I expect a response, if so when?  

My biggest concern is, what if the full backups aren't working either, and I won't find out until I need a PC restored?  I am affraid to test a full restore because it if doesn't work then I've trashed a PC.
    Bri

Hi,

We will analyze the data and let you know what we find.  It may take a few days for someone to get back to you as the bug generally has to be reviewed and assigned to a team member.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:24 PM
  • It's been 2 weeks since I submitted the bug report and I haven't heard anything.  Wondering if I did something wrong.
    • Marked as answer by Bri _1263_ Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bri _1263_ Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:27 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Resolved (by updating SMB driver)

In "Device Manager" I noticed a yellow bang! next to SM Bus.  I searched for nForce 500 drivers for my motherboard, that supported Windows Server 2003.  The nVidia drivers wouldn't install but they did extract onto the WHS hard drive.  I then used "Device Manager" to update the driver, by manually pointing it to the extracted files in the SMB folder.  I rebooted and from my regular PC I logged onto the WHS and tried to open a backup file.  I was quickly prompted to install a driver (which I did) and then watched as the percentage reached 81% and paused a bit - and then continued to 100% and opened the folder.

WHS was installed on a motherboard with an nVidia 570 SLI chipset and an AMD (AM2) processor.  

Bri
    • Marked as answer by Bri _1263_ Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:41 PM