can't search, sort or preview files on WHS from Win7 client RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise x86. There seems to be many operations that fail when I try to access files on the WHS, including not able to search for files, sort files by any field, or view thumbnails of graphic files. Nothing happens when I try to do these.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:16 AM

All replies

• Does this happen on only one computer, or on several? Only one OS? What about if you log in to your server directly and access the shares from the server desktop, via the shortcut you'll find there?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:38 PM
  • This has only happened on my PC with the Windows 7 mentioned. The other PCs on XP have no issues accessing the files. If I log in to server directly, I can sort and view thumbnails but I'm not sure how to search for files (ctrl+F doesn't function).

Windows 7 does seem buggy on my computer. When I click on 'Computer' in Windows Explorer to show a list of hard drives, it sometimes does nothing, but not always.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:42 PM
  • On 6/24/2010 1:16 AM, shawn2010 wrote:

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise x86. There seems to be many operations that fail when I try to access files on the WHS, including not able to search for files, sort files by any field, or view thumbnails of graphic files. Nothing happens when I try to do these.

The first thing I would check is whether the indexing service is running on the WHS.  You'll have to use Remote Desktop to do this though (which isn't supported by Microsoft) unless someone else has a way of checking it.  If the indexing service isn't running, check to see if it's installed and if it's updated fully (Windows Update).

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:55 PM
  • How do I check if indexing service is running? On the server I click on Control Panel -> Indexing Options, which says 'x items indexed'.

If it was due to indexing, how come XP clients have no problem with files on the server, but the Windows 7 client does?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:55 PM