Hompage on the internet! RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo everyone.

I have a problem.
    I would like to have a website on the internet through my VHS 201
    But how hard I try, I not get this workBut.
    I am a real novice at this. So if anyone want to help me I will be realy happy.
    but when I'm so bad at this I need like step by step helping.

This i have working so far:
    Fixed IP address: 46.59.24.137
    Internet access for the server.
    Remote Web Access Internal and thrue the internet.
    folder inetpub with wwwroot folder is on c: with file iistart.htm
    In the router I have, I have opened ports for HTTP, HTTPS

That is all. Have no idea what roles or functions that must be on or off to make this work. I also run Avast virus software.
    So pleace hope that som one will help me. :(

Love Toyboy3

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:13 AM

All replies

• Are you saying you want to host a Website which is accessible from the Internet on your WHS1 Server? If so, it would be easier to install an add-in such as Whiist rather than doing it directly.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Just what I want to do. You wrote it a little easier doc.
    So Whiist works on Windows Home Server 2011
    Then I'll download it and try!
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Sincerely Toyboy3
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:20 AM
  • a stupid question!
    I can not install Whiist.
    I have downloaded the file. But can not find where I should put it.
    It says that I should download the file and put it in the add-in folder.
    I have searched the entire server, but have not found any such folder.
    Wherever I put the file, it does not pop in under add-ins in console
    :(

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Ah, as you did not post in the WHS 2011 forum nor mention WHS 2011, I assumed you were running WHS1.

Whiist does not work on WHS2011 and there is no equivalent. There is no simple way of what you are trying to do with WHS 2011 - it requires configuring IIS which is a complicated task and runs the danger of breaking Remote Web Access functionality.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Oops!
    My fault.
    Ok, That did not sound good. But to me, home is more important than remote server.
    You do not know if there is any types step by step guide
    Or if you can guide me?
    Now I sit with an expensive hosting. Would like to have it at home.

Love Toyboy3
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:16 AM
  • No, that's not something I can do over this forum (even if I knew how!). You will need to do a lot of background reading - try Microsoft Technet.

Personally, if I were trying to do what you want I would start with a Windows 7 platform (not WHS 2011) and run Apache HTTP Server or use WHS1 and Whiist.

Good luck.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:53 AM
  • ... Now I sit with an expensive hosting. Would like to have it at home.
    If this is for any sort of commercial endeavor, using your Windows Home Server computer to host it is A) against the WHS EULA (which explicitly prohibits what you want to do), and B) almost certainly against your ISP's Terms Of Service/Acceptable Use Policy. For the former, there are various flavors of Windows Server 2008 R2 available for sale, though they're all much more expensive than Windows Home Server so you'd probably have a net loss. For the latter, you could upgrade your connection to a business class connection, though probably for more than you're paying for hosting now.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:39 PM
  • No, no!
    It is not for any business. It's just for my family.
    http://www.tokboy.se/familjen/index.php
    So we can have some pictures and maybe a small forum. Kind of like that I want to show off my family. So I do not think I violate some kind of license. Kind of like doing a little advertising for my family only.
    And maybe have a small game server going.
    http://www.tokboy.se/NewMill/index.php
    But I begin to understand that it is not really the point of VHS2011.
    But it is just an internal network. Which I also use it for.
    Think it's a shame that I as an individual must spend lots of money to
    buy an expensive commercial license just because I want to stick with my own server.
    Have tried the trial version of VS2008 and it was just click-through
    So I had a page on the web. But it's probably too expensive for me.
    But thanks for the help so far.
    Love Toyboy3
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:18 AM
  • I haven't looked for web hosting companies close to you geographically (you're in Sweden, I assume?) but I would expect that you could find a host that would support what you want for under 10 USD/month (probably well under), which doesn't seem very expensive to me. By using a host, you eliminate the server maintenance, patching, backups, etc. that you would otherwise do yourself, which reduces your costs indirectly (you're not spending time on those tasks, and time is money). So I'd still stick with using a hosting provider. To a large extent, how much you spend will determine the level of service and reliability you get.

As for hosting at home in general (perhaps you enjoy the challenges): hosting on your home server is possible, but not supported (because Microsoft has already provided you with a remote web site on your server), and nowhere will you find detailed documentation telling you how to do it. Attempting to do so may well break Windows Home Server functionality if you make a mistake, too. Using a separate box is easier because you won't break your server, but it will probably interfere with your server's remote access web site, so you may struggle there too.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 11, 2011 2:44 PM
  • ok. now I know.
    May take and thoughtfully over this with buying a real Server 2008.
    For there are things that just having your own server and manage it that attracts.
    And I will never understand me on Ubuntu. Love the environment in Windows.

But I do not really understand this with users and clients.
    The one I've looked at are: Server 2008 For Ca $ 131
    Microsoft ® Windows ® Server 2008 User 5 loose clients (CAL) OEM Swedish
    What is meant by User 5 loose clients?
    Friday, November 11, 2011 5:19 PM