Restoring to a USB Drive Attached to MediaSmart Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have one of the HP MediaSmart Servers and I've been wondering whether my idea is possible.

I want to use the WHS View Backups function, and then Restore or View Files.  However, after selecting the directories/files I want to restore, is there a way to copy the selected files directly to a USB drive attached to the MediaSmart Server?

Why do I want to do this?  I want to recover a large amount of data to a USB drive, NOT to any of my clients, and I'm presuming that writing to a USB drive attached to the MediaSmart Server (if it's possible) would be much, much faster than channeling all that data through my home network to a client.

Has this been done?  Can you refer me to a thread or Web page demonstrating how this is done?

Thank you, folks, and have a good one!

• Edited by TonyM408 Friday, August 26, 2011 1:04 PM Correction
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:00 PM

Answers

• No, it's not possible to restore to a drive connected to the server. You can only restore to a drive connected to a client computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:29 PM
  • and I'm presuming that writing to a USB drive attached to the MediaSmart Server (if it's possible) would be much, much faster than channeling all that data through my home network to a client.
    In addition to Ken confirming that what you wanted to do can't be done, I would also question this statement. If you are talking USB2 and a GBit LAN, you will not notice much difference between the two.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by TonyM408 Friday, August 26, 2011 3:00 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:34 PM

All replies

• No, it's not possible to restore to a drive connected to the server. You can only restore to a drive connected to a client computer.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:29 PM
  • and I'm presuming that writing to a USB drive attached to the MediaSmart Server (if it's possible) would be much, much faster than channeling all that data through my home network to a client.
    In addition to Ken confirming that what you wanted to do can't be done, I would also question this statement. If you are talking USB2 and a GBit LAN, you will not notice much difference between the two.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by TonyM408 Friday, August 26, 2011 3:00 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:34 PM
  • In addition to Ken confirming that what you wanted to do can't be done, I would also question this statement. If you are talking USB2 and a GBit LAN, you will not notice much difference between the two.

I'm grateful to Ken Warren and Phil Harrison for your prompt and highly informative replies.  I'd like to follow-up, though.

Yes, I've noted Phil's comment: Even if I could copy my WHS client data directly to a USB2 drive attached to the server, there would be little/no speed advantage.

But let me please ask about the WHS backup add-ons.  I've never used any of these WHS back-up add-ons, but as I understand it, these back-up add-ons will copy your WHS data, but not the entire server/OS.  Here's the question: Do these backup add-ons produce a database-formatted backup of some kind, or a file system type structure (with directories\sub-directories\files, etc.)?  [I hope my follow-up does not annoy this forum's readers; I consider this a subtly different question because my original post addressed USB accessibility specifically within the context of the WHS Restore or View Files function.]

If you can just address that last question, that will completely cover all the possible forms of my original question.

Thanks again, folks.  The replies from well-informed WHS big contributors are invaluable.

• Edited by TonyM408 Friday, August 26, 2011 4:56 PM Clarification
    Friday, August 26, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Tony

I don't know which add-ons you are referring to, but I suspect the answer will be different depending on which one you use - might be best to explore that with the add-on author.

Friday, August 26, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Let me rephrase your question for clarity:

For Windows Home Server built-in functionality and add-ins that back up the server itself, what is the data format for that backup?

The answer will pretty obviously be "it depends". In general, though, it's a standard file system from which you can copy files at will. If it's not, the add-in vendor will have to explain the storage method.

For several years, my backup strategy has been to use a customized set of scripts which use robocopy to back my server up to disks which I rotate off-site. I use that because A) I developed it before Microsoft added server backup to the product, and B) because I can schedule a script, where I can't schedule a backup (the tool doesn't have that capability unfortunately). So my backups happen at the same time every night, in the same way, with no intervention on my part.

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:56 PM