Windows Server Domain Name Management stops - No more Remote Web Access capability RRS feed

• Question

• sorry, it's a little lengthy. I posted this over at the wegotserved forum with no luck yet.

system was running fine until a few days ago.

after rebooting WHS11 and opening dashboard on a client the alert viewer reports "the dynamic DNS information cannot be updated because the domain name provider cannot be contacted..."

in WHS11 services, both Windows Server Health Service and Windows Server Domain Name Management are running.
    when I hit 'refresh' in the dashboard on the client machine (or within WHS11, doesn't matter), it takes a minute for 'reevaluating the alerts'. it comes back with an 'Alert Viewer Error' "unable to collect alerts" with a simple Ok button. The dashboard shows a downward arrow and No Data under alerts.
    In WHS11 Services both Windows Server Health Service and Windows Server Domain Name Management stopped working.
    In this state I cannot access my WHS11 domain.

When I re-start both services in WHS11, the dashboard alert viewer comes back alive and reports the same as above (domain name provider cannot be contacted). I have full access again to my WHS remotely. Anytime I hit refresh it stops both services again in WHS11 and I lose remote access until I start the service again.

To evaluate further I turned off Remote Web Access. The Windows Server Health Service is working fine now with no more crashes after refresh. However I lost the ability to turn Remote Web Access on again. Every time I try to turn it on it goes through certificate, router setup (no plug and play on mine, everything setup manually - port 80, 443 and 4125) and then the dashboard crashes (window just disappears on WHS11 or gives an error on client machine). At the same time the Windows Server Domain Name Management stops. I have rebooted the router, reset router settings, rebooted the clients and WHS11 - no luck.

So it started with a Windows Server Health Service problem that was likely related to the Windows Server Domain Name Management service that stopped. I fixed the Health service issue by disabling remote access and now I have a new problem - I can't enable it anymore. Still seems to be related to the Windows Server Domain Name Management service which stops and crashes the dashboard.

Seems like my router is playing foul with my WHS11? Any help appreciated.

thank you for reading all this....

tgd
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:13 AM

Answers

• For anyone else who needs it I had the same issue after installing Mesh. I think when uninstalling Mesh the Windows Live Sign-in Assistant was uninstalled, and this was required by the windows services. I installed the assistant from here and everything works now:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15106

Hope that helps someone.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:06 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem as you. I seem to have fixed it now (I can refresh alerts and the DDNS message disappears, also, remote web shows as available). My problem seems to have been with installing Windows Live Mesh and then uninstalling it. I reinstalled it and everything appears to be working properly again. I might end up doing a system restore to before I installed Live Mesh in the first place, and see if that fixes the problem as well.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:53 PM

All replies

• I had exactly the same problem as you. I seem to have fixed it now (I can refresh alerts and the DDNS message disappears, also, remote web shows as available). My problem seems to have been with installing Windows Live Mesh and then uninstalling it. I reinstalled it and everything appears to be working properly again. I might end up doing a system restore to before I installed Live Mesh in the first place, and see if that fixes the problem as well.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:53 PM
  • OMG! you saved me from a lot of further headaches. Indeed I had Live Mesh installed and recently uninstalled it. Spot on and thank you for replying my friend ;) When home in a few hours I will reinstall Live Mesh and I am sure it will be all fine again. I was not able to find a system restore in WHS11 when I looked last night. cheers!

edit1: reinstalled Windows Live Mesh, still had the same problem. Rebooted and after sitting at verifying for 2 minutes (suspense!) it reported successful configuration of the router and the Remote Web Access is working again.

Now just need to figure out how to remove Live Mesh without breaking it. Did you send a bug report for MS about this yet?

thanks again

tgd
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Glad I found this.  I am having the same problems.  So I reinstalled live mesh and my health service works, but now I have back up failures.  Anyone know how to repair what Live Mesh messed up?  I don't want live mesh on the server.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:34 PM
  • For anyone else who needs it I had the same issue after installing Mesh. I think when uninstalling Mesh the Windows Live Sign-in Assistant was uninstalled, and this was required by the windows services. I installed the assistant from here and everything works now:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15106

Hope that helps someone.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:06 AM
  • thank you. finally able to uninstall mesh without messing up whs11. worked like a charm.

cheers

tgd

Sunday, March 4, 2012 8:07 AM