WHS has disabled my two 1Tb HDDs when I removed a 500Gb HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I used WHS server storage to remove my 500gb HDD, this took a couple of hours but went well. However on rebooting the server after physically removing the 500gb, WHS now list both of my 1tb HDDs as missing and also list them under a non storage pool drives section on the same screen.

When I browse the shares, all of the files list perfectly. My system drive is an 80gb SATA. The 500gb SATA HDD is now empty and I have re-added it to the storage pool.

Drive manager and BIOS both see these two 1tb drives ok, and I have now taken them out of the server and put them into my main PC, again this PCs BIOS and drive manager can see the drives, but drive management in windows 7 management console lists both drives as not initialised.

I cannot understand how two seperate drives could both become dead just because WHS removed a different drive.

Can anyone help to rescue these drives? Both of these 1tb drives are now full of data since WHS removed the 500gb and copied all of its data across to these two.

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S. I have on order (due to arrive tomorrow!) a new 2tb SATA drive, so I can add this to either the server or my main PC and use it to get the data off the two 1tb drives, if only I could access them.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:10 PM

All replies

• I used WHS server storage to remove my 500gb HDD, this took a couple of hours but went well. However on rebooting the server after physically removing the 500gb, WHS now list both of my 1tb HDDs as missing and also list them under a non storage pool drives section on the same screen.

When I browse the shares, all of the files list perfectly. My system drive is an 80gb SATA. The 500gb SATA HDD is now empty and I have re-added it to the storage pool.

Drive manager and BIOS both see these two 1tb drives ok, and I have now taken them out of the server and put them into my main PC, again this PCs BIOS and drive manager can see the drives, but drive management in windows 7 management console lists both drives as not initialised.

I cannot understand how two seperate drives could both become dead just because WHS removed a different drive.

Can anyone help to rescue these drives? Both of these 1tb drives are now full of data since WHS removed the 500gb and copied all of its data across to these two.

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S. I have on order (due to arrive tomorrow!) a new 2tb SATA drive, so I can add this to either the server or my main PC and use it to get the data off the two 1tb drives, if only I could access them.

You might need some sort of data recovery for those drives (either a professional service - which isn't cheap - or a DIY application).
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 5:30 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply, I`m aware that I will need some data recovery in order to get all or some of the data back from the two 1Tb drives, but my main concern is why did these two drives both become un-initialised at the same time, just because I went through the correct procedure to remove a seperate 500Gb drive.

The server storage tab of WHS console shows both of these drives as missing on the main drive section and also shows them in another section higher up the screen as non server storage drives and needing initialising. Also windows own drive management section of its management console (MMC) shows the two disks as uninitialised and even pops up with a `wizard` to `help` me to format and initialise these two `new` drives. When these two drives have been connected to the two seperate PCs (server and my main PC) the BIOS detects them perfectly on POST bootup.

I connected them both to my main PC and started to run Recover My Files program, which scanned the drives and started to list all, or certainly most, of the files on the drives ok, but my main PC does not have the required 2Tb of drive space free to rescue the files. I am still awaiting the arrival of my new 2Tb drive which I intend to connect up and then leave the Recover My Files program to try and rescue the files and copy them across.

If this does not work then I will have lost nearly 1.5Tb of DVD and CD rips, plus numerous backups of the 4 PCs on our home network. If this is so then fair enough, but I need to be sure that the loss of two hard drives at the same time will not happen again, I have duplication enabled, but this is useless when two of my four drives fail together.

Can anyone help, Steve.

P.S. It could not have created this issue, as far as I know, but I did connect up an IDE DVD-ROM drive temporarily in order to do a server re-installation, I have now removed this DVD drive. I have also just upgraded the PSU from an old 350W to a new 500W unit in case the HDDs needed more power.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:07 PM