How do I configure Windows Firewall in Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• One of my main uses for WHS is streaming blu-ray m2ts files to a Popcorn Hour A-110 via myiHome http server. The process works flawlessly on WHS v1, but I can't get it to work with Vail. I confirmed today that the problem is Windows Firewall. When I disable Windows Firewall, the PCH can see and access the myiHome http server installed on my Vail server and streams the movies flawlessly. I tried to set outgoing rules for myiHome application and myiHome server and an incoming rule for the PCH's local IP address and a certificate rule to not check for a certificate from the PCH. However, with Windows Firewall turned on, the PCH cannot access the myiHome server on my Vail server. I appear to be missing something, but I have no clue what it is.  I'm not familiar with Windows Firewall on Server 2008 R2 so any help will be appreciated.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:39 PM

Answers

• You can configure Windows Firewall either through the interface in Windows Server 2008, or through the command line. For a GUI interface, you'll find Windows Firewall with Advanced Security under Administrative Tools on your server's Start menu. You'll find more information on Technet . For the command line, see this KB article .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:24 PM

All replies

• You can configure Windows Firewall either through the interface in Windows Server 2008, or through the command line. For a GUI interface, you'll find Windows Firewall with Advanced Security under Administrative Tools on your server's Start menu. You'll find more information on Technet . For the command line, see this KB article .
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:24 PM

Thanks. I got it working by allowing all incoming programs in the private profile. I don't know if this is the best way to set the firewall or not, but it works for now. This complex server 2008 R2 windows firewall stuff is going to really suck for the average home user that's trying to get a Vail server to work with their variety of media streaming devices. I've spent several hours trying to figure this out.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Really, I think you shouldn't have to do anything. Isn't the A-110 DLNA compliant? You server should show up in the list of servers without myiHome installed. Did you give that a try first? It would likely be simpler. :)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Really, I think you shouldn't have to do anything. Isn't the A-110 DLNA compliant? You server should show up in the list of servers without myiHome installed. Did you give that a try first? It would likely be simpler. :)

Yes, the PCH is DLNA compliant and Yes the windows media share did appear on the PCH, but regular Windows media sharing won't stream blu-ray m2ts files with lossless HD audio.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:17 PM