Question on backing up to a partition RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had the experience of having my Windows 7 Home Premium OS become “invalid” a year after buying the computer. (forum link below)

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/06dd95b2-4f59-43dc-9b77-c79a6412ba72

Anyway, its water under the bridge now, and I just want to move on.  I backed up all my “pertinent” data to USB network storage and purchased a new copy of windows 7 Professional 64bit (not yet installed).  I would like to reformat and do a clean install.

However it’s always nice to be able to access ALL my previous data, if needed.  It always seems like I eventually need something which I didn’t backup.  I debated on doing an image backup (which can’t be done with Windows Home Premium backup to a network drive), but decided to inquire about another possibility.

So here is what I would like to get some advice on.  I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron N7010 with a 451 GB hard Drive which I am only using 47 GB (plenty of room).  With all that space, I would like to keep ALL my previous data on another partition.  I thought about a dual boot because there are some games my wife likes which will probably not work on a 64 bit OS, but…. I really don’t need the old (Invalid) Windows Home Premium.  I would just like to have access to all my data from every “nook and cranny” of my old partition.  So in other words, can I save my current partition as another drive like “G” which would be easily available on “My Computer” in the start menu?

Now I realize that having everything on one hard drive defeats the purpose of backing up,. but this is just to get me through the initial OS switch.  With time I will diversify my backup.

Chrisl9155

Friday, July 8, 2011 6:50 PM

Answers

• Sorry, please disregard,….I posted this in the wrong forum.

Friday, July 8, 2011 8:17 PM