NVIDIA network card update, Windows XP not genuine? RRS feed

• Question

• Last week I went to the Windows Update website to check any optional updates that were available to me which weren't automatically downloaded. I found an update for my network card and selected it for download. When I checked on the progress a short time later, the install had frozen so I closed it out and noticed that my internet was no longer working either, so I proceeded to reboot my computer in an attempt to solve the problem.

When I signed back into windows, a message popped up saying that my hardware had changed since windows xp was installed and it required validation again, not having the original disc myself any more, I also lacked the validation key and when I attempted to connect to the internet to see about getting a new one or even see why the message had appeared in the first place, I noticed it couldn't connect at all any more.

I know that it's only an issue with windows as I am currently using my Linux boot on the same system and it recognizes my network just fine, however I am now completely locked out of windows, being unable to even log onto my account without validation.

Monday, January 10, 2011 3:56 AM

Answers

• No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:04 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:04 AM

All replies

• "MBloodhawk" wrote in message news:fa8cc423-a3c8-49e7-a328-340d894878ed...

Last week I went to the Windows Update website to check any optional updates that were available to me which weren't automatically downloaded. I found an update for my network card and selected it for download. When I checked on the progress a short time later, the install had frozen so I closed it out and noticed that my internet was no longer working either, so I proceeded to reboot my computer in an attempt to solve the problem.

When I signed back into windows, a message popped up saying that my hardware had changed since windows xp was installed and it required validation again, not having the original disc myself any more, I also lacked the validation key and when I attempted to connect to the internet to see about getting a new one or even see why the message had appeared in the first place, I noticed it couldn't connect at all any more.

I know that it's only an issue with windows as I am currently using my Linux boot on the same system and it recognizes my network just fine, however I am now completely locked out of windows, being unable to even log onto my account without validation.

There is no such thing as a validation key - do you mean Activation?
    a change in either activation or validation status should not affect network connectivity.
    In Windows...
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

If you are unable to connect in Windows, you should be able to download the file on the Linux side and save it to the windows My Documents folder (or at least somewhere within the Windows partition) and then boot windows and run the file - you can then save it somewhere as a Notepad file, reboot to Linux, and copy/paste it to your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, January 10, 2011 8:22 AM
  • I am currently unable to even sign in on windows as the genuine windows only gave me 3 days to solve the problem (3 days which passed while I wasn't using my computer), and I am no longer able to log in without providing a key.

Is there a way to run the program and still get the information when not in windows itself?

Monday, January 10, 2011 5:13 PM
  • "MBloodhawk" wrote in message news:f74ca2a4-9796-4e0b-92a1-d042fa8e6a0f...

I am currently unable to even sign in on windows as the genuine windows only gave me 3 days to solve the problem (3 days which passed while I wasn't using my computer), and I am no longer able to log in without providing a key.

Is there a way to run the program and still get the information when not in windows itself?

Boot to Safe Mode, and try from there (it may work)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, January 10, 2011 11:38 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:04 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:04 AM