Unable to get updates for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed that my WHS is no longer able to access the web. I've tried using the IE8 and all I get is internet explore is not able to display that web page. If I try and ping like www.google.com I get valid ping response. I've also noticed that I am not getting updates for WHS. If I try and tell it to do an update I get WHS updates cannot be completed. Please try again later.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 9:06 PM

Answers

• Ok. I figured it out. It was a mistake I had made. I did disable the second NIC, but that made no difference. I then tried to ping things again and this time instead of using the IP address of google I used www.google.com. That was not reachable. Then I remembered that I had switched my WHS from getting it's IP from a DHCP to a fixed IP. I've been trying to get the web access to my server to work and figured I needed to have a fixed IP if I was going to have my router forward certian ports. When I did that I did not setup a DNS server. So my server could not resolve any ip aliases, but it could route an actual IP. I've put in my router as the DNS and now I can open the browser and surf the web.

Thanks to those who offered their help. I do appreicate it. It just happens that this time I messed it up. Sorry.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:32 PM

All replies

• In IE8 if you go to Tools->Options->Connections->Lan Settings  - ensure all check boxes are clear.

Unless you are using a proxy.

Also if you've not tried rebooting give it a go.  Also some routers can just give up handing out new connections, so maybe he could do with a reboot too.
    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:10 AM
  • I've have rebooted the server and I still have the same problem. I've looked at the event log and it has quite a few of these messages.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Ntfs
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 50
    Date:  2/9/2010
    Time:  2:11:52 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 04 00 04 00 02 00 52 00   ......R.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 32 00 04 80   ....2..€
    0010: 00 00 00 00 85 01 00 c0   ....…..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0028: 85 01 00 c0               …..À   

I have run spinrite on the hard drives and found no problem. I've also run a memory test for several hours again not finding any problem. Not sure what's wrong the server itself seems to be working. I can access it from all the pc's that are configured to it, but I cannot get IE to bring up any website or get the update to work.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

Delayed Write Failed is quite a severe error - quite often caused by misconfiguration or using sub-standard cables.  Are you by chance using PATA Hard Drives?

Though this is an XP Knowledge Base Article it still applies to Windows Server 2003:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

The two things you can check are:
    ensure Write caching for the disks are turned off.
    That the correct UDMA Mode in BIOS is set

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Ok. I've made the changes to the write cache as suggested so I hope that takes care of the delayed write failure, but what about not being able to get to the web from WHS. I can't update windows or even use IE to pull up a webpage on the internet like www.google.com.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:30 PM
  • What happend with:

In IE8 if you go to Tools->Options->Connections->Lan Settings  - ensure all check boxes are clear.

Unless you are using a proxy.
    ?
    --
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Oh I forgot about that. All the boxex are unchecked.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Have you installed some kind of firewall or configured the windows firewall at all?

Something on your server is blocked traffic on port 80 - unless you router has put in some security for some reason.  If hostnames are resolved to IPs and pings get through then you must have something misconfigured with IE or your network - you don't have more than one network card in your WHS do you?
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I currently have the firewall turned off. I don't have any additional software installed. But I do have two network ports on the motherboard for this machine so I do have two Nics. One is attached to my network the other is not. Could that be a reason it's not working?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:30 PM
  • I would set the network port that is not in use to disabled.  However if you can ping the website you want to vist then I don't understand why it won't work.
    --
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:58 PM
  • What results do you get when you run ipconfig /all on your server and on a client that doesn't have a problem? Also, can you try running chkdsk on all the drives in your server ? Note: this will usually take quite a while (many hours if you have terabytes of storage).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:14 PM
  • For what it is worth, sometimes the less you know the better off you are.

I had a similar problem recently. Could ping and not http, was intermittent, but was on all clients as well as the server.

For my configuration ( Rogers Rocket Hub as the Internet Gateway) had to turn off, (now disabled) The Home Server Port Forwarding Service.

My hub in not UPNP. 

Now if I can only figure out how Music indexing works...

John
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Ok. I figured it out. It was a mistake I had made. I did disable the second NIC, but that made no difference. I then tried to ping things again and this time instead of using the IP address of google I used www.google.com. That was not reachable. Then I remembered that I had switched my WHS from getting it's IP from a DHCP to a fixed IP. I've been trying to get the web access to my server to work and figured I needed to have a fixed IP if I was going to have my router forward certian ports. When I did that I did not setup a DNS server. So my server could not resolve any ip aliases, but it could route an actual IP. I've put in my router as the DNS and now I can open the browser and surf the web.

Thanks to those who offered their help. I do appreicate it. It just happens that this time I messed it up. Sorry.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:32 PM
  • If you had said this originally we could have got that problem but you masked your problem by stating:
    "www.google.com I get valid ping response." hence I think everyone thought you had okay DNS resolution.  In future try to give the facts as is as it's often the little insignificant things that matter.

Glad you are now sorted.
    --
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:45 PM