MCDST,MCSA,MCSE Questions RRS feed

• Question

• My name is Dan Rice and I am a student of Linn State Technical College in Linn Missouri and I am about to receive my Associate of Applied Science Degree with a major in Networking Systems Technology. I only have two classes to go before I get my first degree and then my CCNA. I was thinking of getting three certifications from Microsoft to start out with. My first ideas are MCDST, MCSA and MCSE. I was wondering a number of things.

70-271 MCDST  MCSA

70-272 MCDST  MCSA

70-270             MCSA

70-290             MCSA  MCSE

70-291             MCSA  MCSE

70-293                       MCSE

70-294                       MCSE

70-297                       MCSE

70-624                            MCSE

1. How long is each exam valid for?

2. Can you do like I did above; use one exam for multiple certifications?

3. Once you have a Microsoft certification does it need renewed?

4. If your Microsoft certification does need renewed how often?

5. Where can I find vouchers to reduce the prices because as is I will at least be paying $1125

6. Where can I find great study materials

Thank you for your help.

Dan Rice: Project+, Certified Fiber Optic Technician

• Edited by zimzumus Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:55 PM

Answers

• Let me start by answering your questions in order:

1.) Exams have an expiration date set by Microsoft. These dates are normally set when updated or newer versions of technology makes the current exam objective obsolete. With that said, the certifications you mentioned will not expire (even after the required exams for those certifications retire). Once you achieve the mentioned certifications, they will not expire. The new generation certification (MCTS, MCITP. MCPD) have a retirement date. This date typically coincides with the termination of mainstream support for that technology.

2.) Yes. But be aware that some required exams are also electives. In other words, the 70-620 exam can be used to fulfill the client operating system portion of the MCSE (OR) count as an elective; but not both.

3.)  No. However, it is highly encouraged that you stay current with newer technology.

4.) n/a

5.) Normally you will find discounts for exams in the back of Microsoft Press Training Kits.

6.) Proficiency in the tested material is the best material. However, Microsoft Press books along with practice test material produced by Measure UP, Self Test Software, and Transcender are great resources. Free whitepapers concerning tested material can be located on the Microsoft TechNet sites.

Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. End. Test. Evaluate.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:34 PM

All replies

• Let me start by answering your questions in order:

1.) Exams have an expiration date set by Microsoft. These dates are normally set when updated or newer versions of technology makes the current exam objective obsolete. With that said, the certifications you mentioned will not expire (even after the required exams for those certifications retire). Once you achieve the mentioned certifications, they will not expire. The new generation certification (MCTS, MCITP. MCPD) have a retirement date. This date typically coincides with the termination of mainstream support for that technology.

2.) Yes. But be aware that some required exams are also electives. In other words, the 70-620 exam can be used to fulfill the client operating system portion of the MCSE (OR) count as an elective; but not both.

3.)  No. However, it is highly encouraged that you stay current with newer technology.

4.) n/a

5.) Normally you will find discounts for exams in the back of Microsoft Press Training Kits.

6.) Proficiency in the tested material is the best material. However, Microsoft Press books along with practice test material produced by Measure UP, Self Test Software, and Transcender are great resources. Free whitepapers concerning tested material can be located on the Microsoft TechNet sites.

Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. End. Test. Evaluate.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:34 PM
  •  http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/credential/default.mspx

This has all the certs for Microsoft. Remember to look at the electives for the MCSA and MCSE exams. MCSA requires 4 exams. MCSE requires 7 exams.

Good luck.

MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

Tim
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:51 PM