Too many activations, number to activate over phone doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I've had problems with my computer, so I've had to format my computer a couple times, and reinstall / reactivate XP home edition. It says I've activated it too many times, but the catch is that the number I'm given to call doesn't work. In Canada, the toll-free number given is 888-571-2048. I have not called the toll number (716-871-2929), because it doesn't say how much the toll is, and it might not exist either like the toll-free number. If you need, I can give you the Installation ID number it gives me only to be displayed to a customer service representative.

So, in short:
    Why doesn't the Canada toll free number work, which i need to activate XP?
    How much is the toll for the toll number?
    Is there another way to speak with a customer service representative (ex, via internet chat)?
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 11:48 PM

Answers

• DrGuppy,

Try the phone number on this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:51 AM
  • I went to that site, but the number was long distance, and also for purchasing a new Windows XP Product Key, neither of which I want to do. Is there a toll free number that I can call?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:51 AM
  • Dr Guppy,

I didn't know that 877 numbers were not toll free in Canada.  800, 888, 877, and 866 are toll free in the USA.

The context of the article is that of buying a new license, but nevertheless the 877 number given is for a USA/Canada activation center.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:52 PM

All replies

• DrGuppy,

Try the phone number on this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:51 AM
  • I went to that site, but the number was long distance, and also for purchasing a new Windows XP Product Key, neither of which I want to do. Is there a toll free number that I can call?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:51 AM
  • Dr Guppy,

I didn't know that 877 numbers were not toll free in Canada.  800, 888, 877, and 866 are toll free in the USA.

The context of the article is that of buying a new license, but nevertheless the 877 number given is for a USA/Canada activation center.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:52 PM