Total Free Space totals more than drives RRS feed

• Question

• I suspect that this has been explained- but I can not find in this Forum.

This screenshot shows that I have two 2-TB drives in VAIL. 60Gb is allocated for system- the balance is available for storage (duplication is currently turned OFF). So, when using Windows Explorer, why does it show (total of all free space on all drives), that I have over 5Tb of free space?

And a second question: what if I do not want free space "balanced" between all folders? For example, it would make a lot more sense for me to have much more space available for Recorded TV than for Documents.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:50 PM

Answers

• What you are being shown in that screen shot is that any of your shares can potentially grow to size X. They can't all grow that large, however, in aggregate they can only grow to fill up actual available disk space.

For your second question, you have no control over this.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:12 PM

All replies

• What you are being shown in that screen shot is that any of your shares can potentially grow to size X. They can't all grow that large, however, in aggregate they can only grow to fill up actual available disk space.

For your second question, you have no control over this.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Thanks for quick response, Ken. So if my Recorded TV drive grows to 1TB, what happens to the size of the other drives? Will they be "balanced" down to a smaller size?
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for quick response, Ken. So if my Recorded TV drive grows to 1TB, what happens to the size of the other drives? Will they be "balanced" down to a smaller size?

As Ken said, what you're seeing is aggregate information.  Let me see if I can explain it...

The folders that explorer is showing you are different pointers to the same thing.  It's like walking through a house of mirrors.  It may look like 5 people staring at you, but it's just 5 reflections of the same person.  One mirror is taller, one is fatter, one is wonky.. etc.  One folder share icon is a pointer to documents, one is a pointer to tv shows, but they're just different ways of seeing the same thing... you can take your significant other into the house of mirrors, but you're not going to get an orgy... :(

So, to answer your follow-up question, it's not really balancing that you're seeing.  It's a number of reflections of what's really only one thing.  If you chopped off an arm, the arm would disappear from every reflection... so, yeah, that's what you'll see.

I think I may have overextended the metaphor.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Coelho Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:39 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:36 AM
  • When a share (any share) grows, free space shrinks. Free space is shown for all shares, so yes, free space will shrink for all shares.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:55 PM
  • I am new of working with WHS/VAIL. Have two ReadyNAS NV & X6 which are slow so I built a fast Intel H57 based mini-itx system with VAIL installed. Happy with $50kB/s throughout, although some recent NASs releases almost double that. Data duplication may reduce throughput but I am willing to accept that for higher data security.

What frustrates me the most abut VAIL is that I have no clue how much data I really have backed up (every night for each PC - only the drive capacity is reported) and how much data is really still available for backups & shares is not transparent at all.

When I log into my NASs that is totally clear like WIN 7. This has to change for the final version of VAIL or I am not interested in this product. I want to know how my bytes were backed up for a given PC and where the data is located. It's OK if it's spread across 6 drives.

While VAIL is very easy to use & setup  understanding (was able to do it in a few hours with no experience) such basic questions shouldn't be that difficult to figure out. Reporting potential storage capacity makes little  sense to me.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:02 AM