Capacitive Touch Screen and more RRS feed

• Question

•  I've been a big fan of Pocket PC devices way before Mobile support was added into the mix and I can say Microsoft has made some wonderful enhancements to the platform. However lately, I've been playing with a number of other platforms, the Apple IPhone, some Symbian devices ect. While I still believe Windows Mobile is the OS to beat in terms of it's flexibility and maturity, it has a lot to be desired in terms of it's front end GUI and functionality.

The first thing I wish is that Microsoft with it's vendors moved towards some kind of capacitive touch screen technology. With all the limitations of the IPhone, the one thing that made it an absolute joy to use was the capacitive touch screen. There was no akward hitting the screen with the side of your thumb to ensure accurate response, and unlike the touch screen techology found in Windows Mobile devices, the response is incredibly accurate. Of course, it also helps when you have a front end GUI designed from the ground up to be used with your thumb. No hitting little check boxes a fraction of your thumb size.

This brings to me to the GUI. Now when Microsoft first released Windows CE, I thought it was great, computer in the palm of your hand, like having Windows 3.1 with you at all times, I thought. Hell it's still with me, I'm reminded of that everytime I open up the standard Windows Mobile calculator. Playing with other platforms, I find Windows Mobile to be the worse. Not that it's bad, it's just not designed to be used with one hand and not intuitive enough to take into consideration that you're not always sitting in front of a computer in a cozy room when you need to do something. And it's definately not the prettiest thing out there, non smartphone's have better presentation of their menus than Windows Mobile devices. Along with the GUI is the mindset that no matter how cool it might be to have a desktop OS running on a mobile phone, it just isn't practicle and needs a different mind set in usability. Even the QWERTY keyboards, I mean you're taking a 10 finger input method and using it with two thumbs, it just doesn't work in terms of speed. Take great input SIP's like TouchPal or Fitaly for Windows Mobile devices, hardware keyboard versions of these, just taking the point of view that you aren't using all 10 fingers and readjusting the key layout results in much faster typing.

I know these things are coming, I just wish they were coming faster as the more I play with other platforms, the more I envy the experience other users have over Windows Mobile devices. So as this is a suggestion forum, my suggestion....HURRY

Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:13 AM

All replies

• Thank you very much for your editorial. Stay tuned

Friday, March 7, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Wasn't meant to be an editorial but frustration out of envy at watching everyone else with a much better overall user experience in the front-end GUI/Usability area.

Ah Apple licensed active-sync/push email from Microsoft for the IPhone. That's always been a key feature for me ever since I started using it. Even with all it's limitations compared to Windows Mobile, the IPhone's capacitive touch screen and it's actractive/finger friendly GUI seriously has me thinking of switching platforms once they add push email.

Push Email and Voice Command have always kept me from switching platforms. Now that Push Email will be available on the IPhone and Voice Command hardly works properly anyway with bluetooth and no upgrade in sight, it's hard not to think about switching, espeically with WM7 still over a year away. Sad

I may get flamed for this but if you ask me, the only thing that's saving Windows Mobile right now is Apple limiting the carriers that can carry their device, probably in order to subsidize the cost of an overal superior device.
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Diiferent GUI's have different capabilities and suits different users. Same when you buy a mac or pc or pc with linux or a mac with added windows.

You have to make your decisions indeed on development stauts and your needs and availability.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 1:22 AM
  • I would say that 90 percent of windows mobile users in business ONLY use it for email, calendar, contacts, etc.  Outlook on the go.  If that is available on the iPhone MS is going to loose BIG.  The iPhone is so much smoother, and fast.  I have to reboot my tilt almost daily and it is also sluggish.  I have enjoyed the mobile outlook for a long time but it will be switching time if MS doesn't do something quick.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:41 PM
  • I agree, my overall experience with the IPhone has been a much snappier response, 8 gigs storage memory on board, overall speed, capacitive touch screen, and a much friendlier/nicer/consistant GUI from application to application. Despite it's limitations, it just performs much better than any Windows Mobile device I've tried.

As for it depending on platforms ect, Windows Mobile is my platform of choice, I want it to be, compatibility with my desktop applications, exchange ect. Problem is it just doesn't always perform as it should. The touch technology on Windows Mobile is Finger Useless, HTC Touch and all, it just doesn't work, look at any video and you'll see a finger repeadidly touching because it doesn't register, resistive screens just don't work will with finger touch. Buttons Dialogs ect are two small to hit with a finger anyway, they were meant for a stylus. And the overall GUI isn't friendly at all, takes me longer than it should to get somewhere or do something.

Problem with Windows Mobile in it's current state is it's too connected to a desktop OS mindset and it's way too bloated, with each version the hardware specs get more demanding but the hardware doesn't seem to change. A friend of mine purchased an ETen X800, runs down to an average of 12 Megs, thing crawls and he's constantly rebooting.

I hope this thread isn't taken as an attack on Windows Mobile, I've been a long time Windows Mobile user, there are a lot of things that it does right, a large software library, very feature rich. Only problem is it's just not put together all that great when compared to other platforms IPhone included. Not to mention the current hardware is just way too lacking, hardly any devices out there with resolutions greater than 320x240 and oh how I wish I just had a capacitive touch screen!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:36 PM