One Care Firewall prevents notebook communication with desktop/Windows XP SP 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get my workstation XW6200 to connect with my Notebook NC6400.  Everything connects when i deactivate the firewall and then it doesn't connect when i activate it.  On my Notebook/One Care/Change Settings/Fireewall/Configure Firewall/Advanced Settings/Network Connections,  I see something i had never seen before. 

Unidentified Network

Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Unidentified Network

6to4 Pseudo-Interface

Unidentified Network

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

They all show that they're connected and i don't have any way of disconnecting them.

Can i just delete them and if yes how?

thanks!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:46 AM

Answers

• None of these appear on the workstation, I assume.

Tell me more about the notebook. Are you using VPN software? Any Virtualization software?

What OS is the notebook?

The entries are there for IPv6, and I assume you are using XP. Something installed that and removing the entries will cause that software to either not function or to drop back to IPv4 for communication.

This external thread contains a simple instruction on how to uninstall IPv6 from an XP machine:

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showthread.php?t=18623

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:43 PM

All replies

• None of these appear on the workstation, I assume.

Tell me more about the notebook. Are you using VPN software? Any Virtualization software?

What OS is the notebook?

The entries are there for IPv6, and I assume you are using XP. Something installed that and removing the entries will cause that software to either not function or to drop back to IPv4 for communication.

This external thread contains a simple instruction on how to uninstall IPv6 from an XP machine:

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showthread.php?t=18623

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I should add, that once these additional "unidentified networks" are removed, you should be able to set the physical adapter to be "Home or Work" and File and Printer sharing will function.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:46 PM