Windows Mobile Calendar Limitations RRS feed

• Question

• Have been considering the purchase of a Windows Mobile PDA-phone, and have noticed that in Windows Mobile, each event alarm has only very limited options -- i.e. none, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day, 2 days -- a feature that has annoyed me badly with my current LG phone.  By contrast, my previous TouchPoint phone would permit selecting an alarm for each event in any combination of minutes and hours up to either 12 or 24 hours, if memory serves.  I do use the calendar feature extensively for tracking appointments and other commitments, many of which involve driving times that range from around 7 minutes to 12 hours, so having a more flexible selection of alarm times is extremely important.

It looks as if the current implementation of the alarm could be stored in a single data byte.  Is it possible that MS programmers could expand the alarm selections to allow the calendar event alarms to be set any number of minutes prior to the event time, up to perhaps 7 days?  The 7-day limit would be good for birthday reminders, for instance, while the flexibility in setting those alarms or reminders would be great for events that involve varying travel times.

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:54 PM

All replies

• This is an excellent suggestion ... one that I totally agree with! 

I know MS is looking at these suggestions and I hope if others are in agreement with a suggestion that they will comment on the thread.  It will stress the importance of an issue.

Monday, July 23, 2007 3:14 AM
  • With my WM5 device you can simply over type the predetermined alarm times that are displayed to select a time more suitable to your needs.

For example sometime I like to be able to set a 20 mins alarm to remind me of appoinments I simply just type '20' over the predetermined 15 minutes that is displayed and then select hour(s) from the next field.

Easy as that. 

Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:39 AM
  • The implementation I had examined was in a Motorola "Q" phone from Verizon.  As I recall, the alarm selection was a pull-down menu with a fixed set of choices (i.e. not a "fill-in" field), and it would not permit a selection that was not already listed in the pull-down menu.  I had been seriously considering a purchase, but declined and walked away when I saw what I perceived as a serious limitation -- at least for someone such as myself who uses the calendar function extensively.

Next time I'm at a Verizon store, I'll take another look to see if there is a "fill-in" option that both I and the salesperson did not see at that time.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Can't you just find a free app to use.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:28 AM