Language change question: Yes, I know I need Ultimate! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi quick question,

I'm working in Russia, and bought Home Premium (fully legit version) locally for my machine. So, now my OS is in Russian, which isn't ideal. I know I need to change to Ultimate to change langauges. My question is this, can I download an English language upgrade version of Ultimate from the Microsoft site, and upgrade from my Russian version as a base, or do I need to find a Russian upgrade pack, install that, then change the language.

Many thanks in advance for the advice, having your OS in a foreign language is not much fun!!

S.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Stevester,

I've talked to my testing team and they say you can upgrade to Ultimate using the Russian upgrade or the English upgrade. BUT regardless what upgrade you use to get to Ultimate, you will still have Russian as the default language. But once you have upgraded to Ultimate, you just then need to install the English Language Pack.

So at this point, I would suggest going with whichever language upgrade that either a) is readily available or b) is the least expensive

I'm very sorry for the wrong information in my first posting.

My test team just finished tested out trying to install the English Vista Ultimate on a Russian Home Premium, and the they received an error that the Upgrade was the wrong language and would not install. So it sems you must upgrade to Ultimate using the Russian language upgrade and then install the English Language pack.

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Stevester,

I've talked to my testing team and they say you can upgrade to Ultimate using the Russian upgrade or the English upgrade. BUT regardless what upgrade you use to get to Ultimate, you will still have Russian as the default language. But once you have upgraded to Ultimate, you just then need to install the English Language Pack.

So at this point, I would suggest going with whichever language upgrade that either a) is readily available or b) is the least expensive

I'm very sorry for the wrong information in my first posting.

My test team just finished tested out trying to install the English Vista Ultimate on a Russian Home Premium, and the they received an error that the Upgrade was the wrong language and would not install. So it sems you must upgrade to Ultimate using the Russian language upgrade and then install the English Language pack.

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:35 PM
  • Darin, 

That was really helpful, thank you! You have saved me a whole load of hassle, I really appreciate it!

Many thanks, 

Steve
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:30 PM
  • Hello,

I think you could do this information more official, because I think it's more important that it seems. One reason is why I have an English Anytime upgrade to windows vista home basic and my local language is spanish. This is one error but I was in to upgrade to ultimate to work into the language. But the problem is I have my configurations keep into an external hard drive and the language that have been kept there are not compatible with the english version of vista ant them cannot be extracted because about the incompatibility. I cannot correct it because to upgrade is necessary upgrade into the same language that the english version of my vista, so then them could not be extracted too, for the incompatibility of the default installation language that the supposed upgrade have to be with the files and configurations have been kept into the hard drive.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:19 PM
  • Looks good, I have exactly the same problem. I assumed that I could switch to english...wrong!

I looked around on the web and it's quite clear that I will need to upgrade to ultimate. But here it comes: I keep ending up in dead ends! When I use anytime, it directs me to a US site where i can buy a disk if i'm either a US or Canadian citizen. That's not gonna solve it. When I go to the russian MS website, after a lot of clicking, you end up on an empty page.

Could anyone please tell me how to upgrade a russian version of vista home premium to russian ultimate?

Many thanks, Hayo
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:06 AM