Toolkit RRS feed

Answers

• JSHollis said:

I have copied the 1.1 version to my addins folder but it doesn't show up as available.  I did uninstall the older version.  Why?

Please see the instructions in the 1.1 manual. The install method has changed. You no longer copy the msi to the add-ins folder. You need to publish it from the client after installing the toolkit on the client machine.

Installing the add-in

To copy the Toolkit Add-in file to your home server, click Start, click All Programs, click Windows Home Server Toolkit, and then click Publish Server Add-in.

If you previously installed the Toolkit Add-in, you must first uninstall it by using the Windows Home Server Console, and then delete the Toolkit.msi file from the Software\Add-ins folder on your home server.

Important

Uninstalling the Toolkit Add-in from your home server is not enough. You also must delete the Toolkit.msi file.
    The Toolkit does not copy the add-in file over an existing Toolkit.msi file, and it warns you about this.

Alternatively, you can use a command prompt or Windows Explorer to copy Toolkit.msi from the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Toolkit folder on your home computer to the \\ServerName\Software\Add-Ins shared folder on your home server.

After you copy Toolkit.msi to your home server, install the add-in using the Console. The Toolkit Add-in adds a Settings page that is called Toolkit 1.1.

To install the add-in by using the Console

1. On your home computer, double-click the Windows Home Server tray icon to open the Console.
    2. Click Settings to open the Windows Home Server Settings page.
    3. In the navigation pane, click Add-ins, and then, in the details pane, click the Available tab.
    4. On Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.1, click Install.

The Console closes after the add-in is installed. Open the Console again, and then open the Settings page. Verify that Toolkit 1.1 appears in the navigation pane.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by JSHollis Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:25 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:21 PM

All replies

•  If the left site (in the Settings column) shows 1.1 as version number, you should be fine.
    Otherwise uninstall it and delete the msi files from the Add-Ins folder in the software share.
    Be aware about the installation method (Toolkit is not installed like other Add-ins, but first you have to install it on a client and from there select Deploy to home server in Start menu of that client - check the documentation for details).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:09 AM
  • The Toolkit on my WHS shows as 6.0.1639.0.  Seems a little strange to go from that to 1.1.  Are they the same thing? 
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:21 PM
  • JSHollis said:

The Toolkit on my WHS shows as 6.0.1639.0.  Seems a little strange to go from that to 1.1.  Are they the same thing? 

The build number for the 1.1 Toolkit is 6.0.1800.  The build number you are referencing is the older toolkit. In order for the new toolkit to install, you will need to delete the older msi from your add-in directory prior to publishing the new toolkit to the server.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:38 PM
  • I have copied the 1.1 version to my addins folder but it doesn't show up as available.  I did uninstall the older version.  Why?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:49 PM
  • JSHollis said:

I have copied the 1.1 version to my addins folder but it doesn't show up as available.  I did uninstall the older version.  Why?

Please see the instructions in the 1.1 manual. The install method has changed. You no longer copy the msi to the add-ins folder. You need to publish it from the client after installing the toolkit on the client machine.

Installing the add-in

To copy the Toolkit Add-in file to your home server, click Start, click All Programs, click Windows Home Server Toolkit, and then click Publish Server Add-in.

If you previously installed the Toolkit Add-in, you must first uninstall it by using the Windows Home Server Console, and then delete the Toolkit.msi file from the Software\Add-ins folder on your home server.

Important

Uninstalling the Toolkit Add-in from your home server is not enough. You also must delete the Toolkit.msi file.
    The Toolkit does not copy the add-in file over an existing Toolkit.msi file, and it warns you about this.

Alternatively, you can use a command prompt or Windows Explorer to copy Toolkit.msi from the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Toolkit folder on your home computer to the \\ServerName\Software\Add-Ins shared folder on your home server.

After you copy Toolkit.msi to your home server, install the add-in using the Console. The Toolkit Add-in adds a Settings page that is called Toolkit 1.1.

To install the add-in by using the Console

1. On your home computer, double-click the Windows Home Server tray icon to open the Console.
    2. Click Settings to open the Windows Home Server Settings page.
    3. In the navigation pane, click Add-ins, and then, in the details pane, click the Available tab.
    4. On Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.1, click Install.

The Console closes after the add-in is installed. Open the Console again, and then open the Settings page. Verify that Toolkit 1.1 appears in the navigation pane.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by JSHollis Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:25 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:21 PM