Enable/Disable Hyper Threading......? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Anyone have any advice on enabling or disabling Hyper Threading (HT) for use with WHS.  I have a 3.0Ghz P4 and the BIOS setting for HT is "OFF".  I have not had any problems with my system configured as RAID1 with HT "OFF".

Will my performance improve with HT "ON" or can I expect issues and problems that I don't have now?

Thanks in advance....

LJ

Friday, April 18, 2008 1:10 PM

Answers

• You shouldn't have any problems with HT turned on. You may even get a performance increase, but it depends on what applications you are running. Intel claims a 15%-30% performance increase compared to non-HT version.
    Friday, April 18, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Server 2003, the underlying system, is HT aware, so WHS should be able to better utilise your processor; assuming it gets a heavy load on it.

Colin

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:06 PM

All replies

• You shouldn't have any problems with HT turned on. You may even get a performance increase, but it depends on what applications you are running. Intel claims a 15%-30% performance increase compared to non-HT version.
    Friday, April 18, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Server 2003, the underlying system, is HT aware, so WHS should be able to better utilise your processor; assuming it gets a heavy load on it.

Colin

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:06 PM