Adding a USB Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 2 200gb internal hard drives in my WHS.  I only have approximately 57 gb of space available.  I have another 500gb USB hard drive that currently is hooked to a client pc(this drive is not backed up by WHS, but the originals are).  I have used it mainly to back up 150gb of family videos.  What I want to do is attach it to the WHS to get extra space.  From what I understand the drive has to be formatted when you attach it to WHS.  So I will lose those videos.  But if I attach it and then copy my original copy of the family videos over to the Video share of WHS I should gain about 350gb of space on the WHS and have my family videos still backed up.  I will probably have to turn off duplication on the WHS Video share since I don't have room on the other drives.  I don't really want to buy any additional hard drives right now.  I would like to get opinions as to whether this would work ok or if there would be a better way. 
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:28 PM

Answers

• That probably would not work.  Duplication only takes up 54mb right now.  Thats only the WHS software installation folder.  I never put any files on it yet. 
    I think I'll leave it as is now.  I'll add a bigger drive later.  Thanks for the help.
    • Marked as answer by Blueracer Friday, May 15, 2009 12:07 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:22 PM

All replies

• What you describe will work. The key question (and one you'll have to answer for yourself) is how much protection do these files need? Windows Home Server, if it has sufficient space on it's various disks to do so, can protect you against the most common cause of data loss in the home: single disk failure. It can't protect your data from malicious or accidental deletion or modification, however, and it can't protect your data from a disaster that destroys the entire server. So if those files are critical, you may want to use the server backup feature once you've copied your files to the shares and take that backup off-site (which protects even agains fairly major disasters, like your house burning down...).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:55 PM
  • That should work. Be careful how you copy the files from the USB drive to the server. You can share the USB drive and use your desktop to copy/move the files. That's the safest method I can think of.

Cruise

P.S. The USB drive performance will not be as good as the internal drives, so be prepared for longer file copy times.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Ken,
    If I leave the duplication feature on will WHS reallocate the way it stores the data.  If I have 57gb of space available now and add 350gb(500-150) I will have 407gb free.  Couldn't it put the 150gb of Video share data on one of the 200gb drives and duplicate it to the 500gb drive?  Eventually I will probably buy and extra usb hard drive to store the data off-site, like you said. 
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Windows Home Server won't move files from drive to drive unless a drive is basically completely full. "Balancing" by Drive Extender is a misnomer; it's just verifying and duplicating.

Here's what I would do, if you really want duplication turned on for these files:
    • Verify in the console the amount of duplicated space used now. Hopefully you have as much space used by duplication now as the total space required by the fiels you want to put on your server. This won't work unless it's close...
    • Turn off duplication for all shares, and wait at least an hour.
    • Copy the new files to your server.
    • Turn on duplication.
    • Wait even longer (probably). You'll be able to tell in the console when duplication finishes.
    Note that you're really trying to cram as much on your drives as you can; Windows Home Server is really at it's best when you don't do that. Also, you're planning to put a USB drive in the storage pool. While you can do that, and most people have has no problems as a result, the Universal Serial Bus and associated communications protocols isn't really designed as a mass storage bus, so you're taking a risk of problems down the road. You'll be best off if you can add drives internally, or connected using eSATA.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:41 PM
  • That probably would not work.  Duplication only takes up 54mb right now.  Thats only the WHS software installation folder.  I never put any files on it yet. 
    I think I'll leave it as is now.  I'll add a bigger drive later.  Thanks for the help.
    • Marked as answer by Blueracer Friday, May 15, 2009 12:07 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:22 PM