CRM 2011 Managed Solutions - Handling multiple product versions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking for guidance on CRM 2011 managed solution strategies for releasing multiple versions (upgrades) to multiple CRM installations. 

My understanding was that product versions 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 were to be deployed as separate solutions. That 2.0 would be developed with 1.0 managed solution as the base and that version 2.0 would be deployed in sequence after version 1.0 to any new CRM instance.

I have been reading recently that the approach for making changes to an already deployed managed solution is to simply make the changes in the source CRM (containing the unmanaged solution 1.0) and then simply deploy the modified 1.0 version of the solution as managed and then import the modified 1.0 version of the managed solution into the target CRM installation.

Thanks, Andy

Andy
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

You have both choices: Either make the changes in the original unmanaged solution and then import an "update" to the managed solution OR Create a new v2 solution (with the same publisher) , include in the v2 solution the MANAGED components from the v1 solution (note: this means you have to start from a managed v1 solution), then you can make any modifications and export again.

I don't think the second approach is useful unless you need to have a new solution layer between for v2 (meaning you want to for exmaple enable to scenario to uninstall v2 and roll-back to v1) which you cannot do with the first approach. Other than that, it is much more simple to use the same solution, update its version number in the unmanaged one, and then install a managed update.

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

You have both choices: Either make the changes in the original unmanaged solution and then import an "update" to the managed solution OR Create a new v2 solution (with the same publisher) , include in the v2 solution the MANAGED components from the v1 solution (note: this means you have to start from a managed v1 solution), then you can make any modifications and export again.

I don't think the second approach is useful unless you need to have a new solution layer between for v2 (meaning you want to for exmaple enable to scenario to uninstall v2 and roll-back to v1) which you cannot do with the first approach. Other than that, it is much more simple to use the same solution, update its version number in the unmanaged one, and then install a managed update.

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

One related issue which I have not resolved is dealing with plug-in assembly deployment and updates.

During development we use "Disk Deployment" of our plugin assembly so we can recompile / update our assembly and simply restart IIS in order to test our changes but we want to deploy our managed solution with the plugin assembly configured for database/sandbox for CRM online support.  If I re-register the plugin assembly all of the existing plugin steps and images associated will havet to be re-created.

what are the options for dealing with a disk-deployment configured Plugin assembling that we want to deploy to database/sandbox with our managed CRM solution without having to re-create all of the associated plugin steps and images?

Thanks

Andy
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi Andy,

In CRM 2011, using disk/gac deployment for plusing assemblies is not encouraged, because:

1. You will not be able to export/import your assemblies into solutions
    2. Does not work Online.

If you use the plugin registration tool, you CAN update the assembly content without having to re-register the steps, images, etc. As long as your assembly has the same strong name (except revision and build number which you can change) then you can simply update the assembly with the tool, and it is quicker because you don't even need to do an IIS reset!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:07 PM