none
"Account Summary" gone after Windows 10 update RRS feed

• Question

• Since the December Windows 10 update, I can't see "Account Summary" anymore. I can see Investment Transactions and Cash Transactions. I am using Money Plus Deluxe. version 17.0.120.3817
    • Edited by Skipper.56 Friday, December 28, 2018 3:58 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2018 3:48 PM

All replies

• I have that version of Money and when I select an investment account, it still shows "Account Summary", "Investment Transactions" and "Cash Transactions" in the "View" section.  All three still work despite the December patches.  A couple of questions:

- what happens when you click on " Account Summary"?  Or is it just missing entirely?

- when you select "Portfolio View", do you see the account summaries for all your investment accounts?

Bill Becker

Saturday, December 29, 2018 4:06 AM
  • I can still see all three. When I am in Cash Transactions and I click on Account Summary, it reverts back to Cash Transactions. Same - if I'm in Investment Transactions, it stays there despite clicking on Account summary.

Portfolio View: I guess you mean "Portfolio Review" under Investing Tools? That works but does not show summaries of my individual investment accounts.

This might or might not have a bearing but I did update to the Sunset version hoping a new install might fix it It did not. Additionally, under Help > About, it still shows as Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe. version 17.0.120.3817

Thanks for helping! Much appreciated.

Norman M

Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:52 AM
  • Under Investment Tools, I have both "Portfolio Review" and "Portfolio View".  The latter shows the same information as is in the "Account Summary" but show it for every account.  I guess you don't see that?

I have the same version of Money, - 17.0.120.3817 which is US Money Plus Deluxe.

Some things to try:

- if you haven't done so already, do the mnyob99.dll replacement as described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

- do a File>Repair Money File>Quick File Repair and see if that helps

You can also try a Standard File Repair but be aware that it will reset all your customized reports.  And I seem to recall that it may blow away your Favorite Reports also.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:37 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:36 AM
  • Tried replacing the dll file. Rebooted. Still no luck.

Repaired the file in question: Quick and Standard. Nothing.

Opened a couple of old files from 2018 and "Aiiii Caramaba!!!" those still show "Account Summary"!!! Go figure. And they show Portfolio manager with individual account summaries!

The existing / current file, of course, shows a link "Portfolio manager" but on clicking, only a blank screen displays.

I will try to 'import' investment accounts from the existing to one of the 2018 files and see what happens.

Friday, January 11, 2019 3:22 AM
  • Very good that you have been keeping backups!

One thing that I didn't think to ask, - did you by any chance do an Archive of your current file?  I have no experience with that function but I suspect that it may do some strange things.

Bill Becker

Friday, January 11, 2019 3:38 AM
  • No. I started this new file about 6 months ago after trying Quicken and they started to force me to buy new versions. I found MS Money working so much better for me.

I'm thinking that my install of MS Money is fine, even with the old dll file, since it works with my older 2012 file. It's my 2018 file that's probably messed up!?

What if I uninstall MS Money and load the Sunset version? Any risks there? I might not be able to get the old install back (I have no disks).

Saturday, January 12, 2019 1:59 PM
  • I'm not sure that I quite understand your situation.  In your original post you said that you were running Money Plus Deluxe version 17.0.120.3817.  That is, if fact, the Sunset version.  It was issued in 2010 and is available from the download in the second "sticky" thread in this forum.  So your recent download and reinstall was of the same version.  I suspect that you also used that version to create your 2012 file.  If it was a prior version, Money would have given a message about converting your Money file to a newer version when you opened it with Sunset.

So it seems that:

- you have been using Sunset all along

- you tried reinstalling Sunset and that didn't help

You can make one additional check on the health of the Money install by opening the sample.mny and see it behaves properly.  It's located in the Money installation directory, probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus.

So, yes, I think that your 2018 file is probably corrupted in some way.  

Oh, and one long shot.  Is your Money.mny file located somewhere in your documents folder?  If it's in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus folder or some other write-protected system folder then changes won't be saved and odd behavior may occur.

Bill Becker

Saturday, January 12, 2019 9:25 PM
  • Bill

You are likely right. The 2012 file was likely created using the Sunset version.

What is more likely though is that it was created in an older version of Money. That's because, going back as far as 2010, I used to archive my money files each couple of years and keep only the latest transactions in the remnant file for ongoing use but give it a new name eg: 2012.

Still, when I came back to MS Money around June last year, the file 2018 I created worked fine in all respects, until fairly recently (Dec 2018). I believe it was the Windows update.

Couple of things I tried:

I started a brand new file 2019 and:

1. made some fake investments in a new investment RRSP account. Account Manager and Portfolio Manager do not work.
    2. exported an investment account from the 2018 file. Still no luck.
    • I exported a couple of accounts from the 2018 file to a copy of the 2012 file. In this case they both work - Account Manager and Portfolio Manager.

Sample.mny will not open. 

All my data .mny files are in a sub-sub-folder under Documents, not in the Microsoft Money Plus folder.

Wondering if it will help to uninstall MS Money first then reinstall. I did not uninstall the last time (December).

Norman

Monday, January 14, 2019 11:21 PM
  • Sounds like you are trying all the correct things.  But the fact that sample.mny won't open is very strange.  What is the error message?

Yes, I would try uninstalling Money and then reinstalling from the download in the second "sticky" thread in the forum.

As for the Windows 10 update, was it the usual "Patch Tuesday" security and patch update or were you "upgraded" to Version 1809?  If just the former, it's easy enough to try uninstalling the December and January patches and see if that makes a difference.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:52 AM
  • Not being able to get sample.mny or a new Money file working is telling.

After you reinstall, remember to do the patch described in the first sticky post in this forum.

If reinstall does not do it for you, there are other things to try. One is to install into a different folder from the default. But I would try the default folder first.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Thanks. Will report back soon.
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:01 PM
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled MS Money. Replaced the dll file. No luck.

And now, even the 2012 file, where Account Summary and Portfolio Manager used to work, they don't work anymore.

Opened a new file and made fake investments in stocks. Account Summary and Portfolio Manager still don't work. When I click on Account Summary, the screen flickers, as usual, but reverts to the last selected option either Investment Transactions or Cash Transactions.

I looked but could not find my old MS Money CD.

Saturday, January 19, 2019 4:07 PM
  • I still have my older desktop with Windows 7 on it. Am going to give that a try. Unfortunately, I had cleaned all applications and will have to hope that Windows 7 will work better with the Sunset version.
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled MS Money. Replaced the dll file. No luck.

Try installing Money Sunset on the problem machine into a new folder. The default is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus" in 32-bit Windows, and "C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Money Plus" in 64-bit Windows, which is most common. You could choose your own filename by choosing a different name, but I would leave the Program Files folder the same. I don't know where in the install that comes up, but it is pretty early. Pay attention, and I expect you will see the ability to choose a different installation folder name.
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:39 PM
  • Thanks Cal. One thing finally worked. I am able to open the sample file after copying it to my Documents folder and it does show Account Summary and Portfolio Manager. I also added a new account with fake investments and all seems good. Will try your advice next Cal.

Thanks!!

Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:45 PM
  • Uninstalled MS Money. Reinstalled into a sub-folder called NOTMONYPL within the Program Files(x86) folder. No luck.

Did the same but into a sub-folder in the Documents folder. Still no luck.

So, I used the sample.mny file and imported one of my investment accounts into a new account within the sample file. All was good - it all worked but when I opened the file again just now Account Summary and Portfolio Manager stopped working, for all accounts, not just the new one!

Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:39 PM
  • So, something happens to the file, including sample.mny, once opened, saved, re-opened, after a little while (hours?). Account Summary and Portfolio Manager works initially but stops eventually, including the sample.mny file with no changes to it (meaning no new accounts added, deleted, nothing).

Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:57 PM
  • I have Windows 10 Pro version 1809, installed on 24 Dec 2018. Just wondering if I roll that update back whether it will make MS Money work like it shou;d. More importantly, will a rollback affect my computer in ways unpredictable?
    Sunday, January 20, 2019 11:56 PM