Configure POLYCOM CX700 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

How can I set the phone cx700 to connect to my server OCS2007?

I have configured the IP DCHP, but I can not add IP Server OCS2007

How can we do?

Regards
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

The CX-700 CPE device uses DNS SRV records to discover the server.

You'll need to create a DNS record for _sipinternaltls._tcp.yourdomain.com as per the OCS deployment guides.

If for some reason you can't create SRV records the device will eventually fall back to using a standard A record of sip.yourdomain.com on port 5061. However for this to work you also need to make sure your server certificate contains the SIP.yourdomain.com hostname.

Also make sure the device can find and query an NTP server. You can set this to an internal NTP server by using SRV records again _ntp._udp.yourdomain.com on port 123. Alternatively the device will fall back to using time.windows.com on the Internet.

Before the device will connect to your server it will need to download the root certificate, it does this by querying Active Directory for CertificationAuthority objects.

If for some reason your cert isn't published there you can run the follwing command:

certutil -f -dspublish <Root CA certificate in .cer file> RootCA..

Other things you need to consider:

Voicemail and call log rely on the Exchange 2007 web services and Autodiscover service. Make sure they are working properly.

The CPE devices need to be updated when new firmware is released. You need to install the OCS Updaete service and corresponding SharePoint site. That process is quite complicated and I can't cover it here...

Hope that gets you up and running...

Yours,
    Andy

Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Ok

But how can I set it?

Do you have to be in the SCO server or server domain controller?

the server's IP address 10.10.0.246 SCO is his name is "pool1ocs.midominio.local"
    IP address of the server domain controller is 192.168.0.243 (DHCP and DNS) name is us midominio.local

Thank you
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 12:28 PM
  • Hi again,

The deployment guide for CPE is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ED9C55C3-51C9-46D0-B48A-D72BBE129B63&displaylang=en

I'm guessing that your SIP domain is not midominio.local but something like midominio.com ?

If so you'll need to create an internal DNS zone for your sip domain because the CPE device uses the domain part of your sign-in name.

Be careful though this may break all sorts of things. if your sip domain is the same as your external domain then this is commonly know as split-DNS, Thomas Shinder has a great article on what that means over on his ISA blog:

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/You_Need_to_Create_a_Split_DNS.html

Another thing is that the server certificate generated during the OCS install should contain pool1.ocs.midominio.local a the subject name(SN) and pool1ocs.your-sip-domain.com as the subject alternate name(SAN). If not then you need to run through the OCS cerificate wizard again and specify the domains correctly.

You can check that the SRV records are working from another client on the network:

Open a command prompt, enter: nslookup

at the prompt enter: type=SRV

then type: _sipinternalts._tcp.your-sip-domain.com

the result should be:

> _sipinternaltls._tcp.your-sip-domain.com
    Server:  servername.domain.local
    Address: 192.168.0.243

_sipinternaltls._tcp.your-sip-domains.com       SRV service location:
              priority       = 0
              weight         = 0
              port           = 5061
              svr hostname   = pool1ocs.your-sip-domain.com
    pool1ocs.your-sip-domain.com   internet address = 10.10.0.246

If you're still having trouble it sometimes helps to put the CPE device on a hub with a PC and do some traffic sniffing, you should see the device requesting the DNS queries and the responses (if any) from the servers.

Good luck...

Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:12 PM

• Thank you very much

But Comunicator is already running, but with the phone POLYCOM CX700 never fails to connect.

Why if it works with your computer?

Why does not the POLYCOM?

I have assigned IP DCHP al telephone
    Friday, September 5, 2008 7:32 AM
  • So if the Communicator client is connecting how is it configured.

Are you using autoconfiguration, group policies or manual settings?

Have you run the above nslookup command to check that SRV is correct and working?

Does your server certificate have servername.your-sip-domain.com in the subject alternate name field?

If you have an old hub or can span ports on your switch I really would recommend doing a packet trace.

Use something like Netmon v3 or Wireshark.

You should see the DNS queries, NTP lookup, OCS Server negotiation, AD lookup, certificate download and finally OCS server login.

Until you have an OCS update server working your ability to troubleshoot is really limited...

Exactly what message does the CPE device say when it fails to connect?

Yours,

Andy

Friday, September 5, 2008 7:48 AM
  • Since the computer does have problems in connecting to Comunicator.

I do not connect with Polycom

Not to do

Thanks andy
    Friday, September 5, 2008 9:38 AM