Can't install Mesh on Mac RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on Add Device,  I'm getting a message "The Live Mesh extender is not currently supported on this device".
    I tried it in Safari, Firefox 2, then upgraded to Firefox 3 and still get the same message.
    I am running OS X 10.5.5

Anyone else get this? Can someone email me the install so I can maybe get around this.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:51 PM

Answers

• Orlando, are you running on a PowerPC Mac (not Intel-based)?

Live Mesh does not support PPC-based Macs and the error message that you are seeing is what I would expect for you to see if you are running on a PPC Mac. I just looked over the blog post again and it looks like it correctly called out our OS requirement (10.5+... actually 10.5.1 is not required), but does not call out our Intel-Mac requirement.

• Marked as answer by OrlandoDawg Friday, October 31, 2008 6:06 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:55 PM

All replies

• Please follow the instructions to access the Mac client in this Blog article.

• Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by OrlandoDawg Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:56 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:57 PM
  • "To get access to the Mac client, sign in to www.mesh.com, click Add Device, and then click the “Limited Mac Tech Preview now available” link underneath the Install button."

Did you read post? I don't get the “Limited Mac Tech Preview now available” link at all. All I get is a message "The Live Mesh extender is not currently supported on this device". There is nothing else. 
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I had this problem. When it tells you that the extender is not supported on that device, click "Home" for your live desktop, then click back into devices, then click in to connect, and then you will actually see the prompt for the early preview of the Mac client. It's quirky, but I got it working on Firefox 3. I'm also running 10.5.5.
    The .NET Addict - http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:09 AM
  • I don't have "Home" , but if I click on my "Live Desktop", then back into devices, then click "add device" I still don't have the "prompt for the early preview of the Mac client."

I setup a new LIVE Account under a different Email address, and now I can see the prompt. However, when I click on it I, I get the following a modal prompt
    "Welcome to Live Mesh Mac Tech Preview"
    "To Install Live Mesh on your Mac, select Add Device from the Devices page while using your mac"
    So, I click 'ok'

Now when I go to Add Devices I get the same error message as before!

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Orlando, are you running on a PowerPC Mac (not Intel-based)?

Live Mesh does not support PPC-based Macs and the error message that you are seeing is what I would expect for you to see if you are running on a PPC Mac. I just looked over the blog post again and it looks like it correctly called out our OS requirement (10.5+... actually 10.5.1 is not required), but does not call out our Intel-Mac requirement.

• Marked as answer by OrlandoDawg Friday, October 31, 2008 6:06 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:55 PM
  • That is exactly it. I didn't know about the Intel-Mac requirement.
    The error message was terribly vague.
    Which is what you usually get from a Mac, not from Microsoft.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:08 PM
  • I agree that the error message is very vague. I will work on getting the Live Desktop guys to improve the message in this case.

The Intel-Mac requirement has now been added to the blog entry for this release. That was supposed to be there from the beginning, but was overlooked.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Is there a chance that PPC-based Macs will ever be supported?
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 2:48 PM
  • +1 on that request
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 6:47 PM
  • +2 but I guess it relies on Silverlight 2 so I'm not hopeful
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:23 PM