Error when Importing a newer version of an unmanaged solution RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dev->Test->Live CRM scenario. We imported an unmanaged solution containing some customisations from Dev onto Test. After finding some bugs we then fixed these on Dev, exported the solution again and are now trying to reimport the updated solution onto our Test platform.

When we do though, we are always getting the following errors on the ACCOUNT entity. We do have a custom form for the entity, along with some custom views so it has to be a part of the solution.

Anybody help at all please?

The Error message from the log file:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" type="System Views">

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="Time">

<Data ss:Type="String">09:00:04.81</Data>

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="ItemType">

<Data ss:Type="String">System Views</Data>

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="Id">

<Data ss:Type="String"></Data>

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="Name">

<Data ss:Type="String">Account</Data>

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="LocalizedName">

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="OriginalName">

</Cell><Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="Description">

<Data ss:Type="String">Business that represents a customer or potential customer. The company that is billed in business transactions.</Data>

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="Status">

<Data ss:Type="String">Failure</Data>

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="ErrorCode">

<Data ss:Type="String">0x80040203</Data>

</Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s137" name="ErrorText">

<Data ss:Type="String">You are attempting to update in the active context when there exists an active row, <br/>but either the active row has a state other than publish or unpublish or you are attempting to do a published <br/>update of a publishable component, which is not allowed. <br/>_Input.IsBeingPublished: False; <br/>CurrentState: Microsoft.Crm.Platform.SolutionAwareComponents.BusinessComponentState</Data>

</Cell></Row> 

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:10 AM

Answers

• Just to close this one off (sorry for the delay!)

We ended up by creating new Test and Live instances as it turned out that before my arrival work had been carried out and had left various bits of detritus in wierd places. (We haven't yet rolled out the project so I had the flexibility to take that somewhat drastic course of action!)

Once on the clean systems everything worked as expected!

Rather annoying in that I wasted time on what was caused by legacy development - also annoying because the error message really was no help whatsoever and should have been a lot easier to work out (rather than the jumble of words with "active" in them that was presented to us!)

Thanks everyone for your help and advice on this - very much appreciated.

• Marked as answer by Mike Hartley Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:28 AM

All replies

• That's some error message!! 

When you imported the first solution did you publish all customisations? The error seems to suggest that it is an unpublished view on account that is causing the problem. Similarly did you publish everything before exporting the new solution? That said I have to say I've experienced a world of pain with solutions and the error messages they throw up don't always point in the right direction. Here are some things I'd suggest trying.

1. Turn on tracing and re run the import. The trace error messages are usually a lot more detailed and specific
    2. Can you successfully import the solution to a clean organisation? i.e. is it only the update of the solution that causes the issue
    3. I think in the scenario you describe you probably should be using a managed solution rather than unmanaged when deploying to test & live. Try using this instead and see if this works.

Paul Dowman, CRM Developer
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Hi Paul, thanks for replying.

I had published everything both before and after export/import so I can't see that there will be an issue there - I have tried it several times since and it's always the same result.

To respond to your other points:

1. The trace only seems to show the exact same text as the error message, it doesn't seem to give me much else that I can follow through on.
    2. That's the next thing I'm going to try - but my concern is that the initial import worked successfully, it's only importing a newer version that has led to issues. I need to be sure that I can update solutions and import them across our Dev->Test->Live cycle as and when we add new features or functionality requirements chance.
    3. I tried doing it as a managed solution, but as the Account entity is part of the solution (due to the custom views and forms) it errored out whenever I tried importing it as managed - it only worked when I used an unmanaged solution (which wasn't what we wanted as we want it to be as a managed solution ideally)

I'm really doing a good job of banging a hole in the brick wall next to me right now - it's driving me insane!

Any further thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:42 AM
  • Hi Mike,

The account entity should work fine as part of a managed solution, so understanding why that didn't work might be the key to this. It will also get your back on your preferred path.

I did run into a similar problem once with the incident entity. We had a base solution which had customised the form, and then I was building a solution on top to give specific customisations for one particular customer. The first export of this solution was fine, but a subsequent version would not install. Eventually I started over and built new forms and views for my solution. This seemed to work a lot more reliably, but of course is a bit of a pain as you end up redeveloping forms that exist in a base solution.

Do you know which view is causing the error? In the issue I describe above the problem was on a form, I was able to remove the offending element manually in the customisations xml file & the solution would then import. This got me past the initial issue, but I the went back to Dev to rebuild from scratch as I didn't trust the solution any more. Since re-developing and not touching any forms customised in other solutions we've been fine.

Overall I'd say solutions are a good thing, but there are definitely some kookie situations that arise, and I think you're in one of them!!

Out of interest - try spinning up a brand new organisation and see if you can import your solution v2 into it. 

Sorry it's not more help

Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I really appreciate all the help I can get right now! Google throws up 3 results with this error, and 2 are to do with upgraded CRM4.0-2011 instances - the third is simply the MS list of error messages (which is about as much use as a chocolate kettle)

Unfortunately the error messages, and the trace, don't give me any specifics at all which is remarkably helpful (not) so I'm kinda in the dark trying to stab a fly with a needle right now.

I'm just waiting on our server guy to create me a new clean organisation and then I'm going to give that a shot.

CRM is a great platform, but there really are some wierd inconsistencies and oddities sometimes.

Thanks Again
    Mike

P.S. If anybody else out there has any other ideas please do chip in!

Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:53 AM
  • No worries Mike. I feel your pain!! Remember the darkest hour is usually just before the dawn. :)
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:57 AM
  • I also had similar issues when I started to download solutions from the market place to try them.

It was a nightmare and it destroyed my customisations.

Always make a backup of the main form before deploying a solution you downloaded, in case the solution changes the main form. Best thing to do when customising entities is to always make a backup of the main form, and create a new form for your customisations.

This will incur extra work. But IMHO, it is better than having a customisation mess up my hard work =)

MCC, MCP, MCTS
    If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    • Edited by pmdci Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:20 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:19 PM
  • This is a solution we have created, based upon default entities and with some extra custom entities - primarily with custom forms as well.

I always ensure we have plenty of backups taken but unfortunately this issue seems to be something else.

Thanks for the reply.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Just to close this one off (sorry for the delay!)

We ended up by creating new Test and Live instances as it turned out that before my arrival work had been carried out and had left various bits of detritus in wierd places. (We haven't yet rolled out the project so I had the flexibility to take that somewhat drastic course of action!)

Once on the clean systems everything worked as expected!

Rather annoying in that I wasted time on what was caused by legacy development - also annoying because the error message really was no help whatsoever and should have been a lot easier to work out (rather than the jumble of words with "active" in them that was presented to us!)

Thanks everyone for your help and advice on this - very much appreciated.

• Marked as answer by Mike Hartley Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:28 AM