Windows Home Server Toolkit v1 Released RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

For those who haven't checked this out, on Friday, Microsoft released what looks like a pretty useful collection of tools for troubleshooting your home server. The Windows Home Server Toolkit v1 contains three separate components:

• Error Reporting
      The Error Reporting tool collects log files from your home computer and sends them to Microsoft. These log files are useful to Microsoft Support when troubleshooting problems you may encounter with Windows Home Server.
    • Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter
      The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter is a program that runs on your home computer to help troubleshoot problems you may encounter while installing the Connector software. The Connector Troubleshooter runs a series of tests to check the most common Connector Setup problems, and then it recommends possible solutions.
    • Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in
      You can also use the Troubleshooter to install a Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in on your home server. With this Add-in, you can run troubleshooting tasks from the Windows Home Server Console Settings page.

By the looks of it, this seems to be a useful install.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=de10c0e9-2d46-4770-91fe-6b84ae06f960&DisplayLang=en

Terry

Sunday, October 7, 2007 11:37 PM

All replies

• Terry

Am I crazy or is there a error in the "readme.htm" for this Toolkit.

ClientTroubleshooter.exe  do not seem to exist in the "Program Files\Windows Home Sever\Toolkit" directory.

Anyway I have it installed including the add In -seems like a very helpful tool. I am going to play with it a bit.

Regards

Monday, October 8, 2007 3:16 AM
  • There is a file called ConnectorTroubleShooter.exe and it does what is described, so the readme is wrong on that part.

But worse: When I tried to install the add-in it was -not- available as a tab... Is there a limit on tabs for add-ins? I already have 3 others installed.

Cheers,

Danee

Monday, October 8, 2007 8:51 AM
  • There are a couple of errors in Microsoft's document and the installation of the add-in is not clearly explained. See my post for installation details.

Monday, October 8, 2007 8:59 AM
  •  Danee wrote:

There is a file called ConnectorTroubleShooter.exe and it does what is described, so the readme is wrong on that part.

But worse: When I tried to install the add-in it was -not- available as a tab... Is there a limit on tabs for add-ins? I already have 3 others installed.

Cheers,

Danee

Danee

Seems like we both figured it out, any to your question

1. There is no limit to the number of "Tabs" in the "Console"
    2. To use the "Toolkit" go to  "Settings" in the "Console" and you will see the "Toolkit"

I know you found it also but I mentioned it for the wider audience.

PhillTheChill  post  will help a lot it shows the location of the "Toolkit" in the Console and corrects the "TYPO" in the "readme.htm"

Very good toolkit.

Monday, October 8, 2007 10:28 AM
  • Thanks for the posts guys.

Have just tried publishing the connector add in to the server but could not find the file as you both described.

Regards,

Andi

Monday, October 8, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Nice, especially like the ease of checking remote logins. Good job MS with this one!!

Cruise
    Monday, October 8, 2007 4:52 PM
  • Like this one! It has some nice and easy accessible tools. Good Job WHS Team!

One remark:

Install should be made a little easier though for average home users. To get the Add-inn to WHS there are some (currently even incorrect) obscure instructions that are not even displayed upon install. Home and even Pro Users reading the manual are very rare. Generally the manual is really the last resort, after "click and pray", internet searches and posting on all kinds of related or unrelated boards. Why not let them download the Add-inn as a separate install, or ask if users also wants to setup toolkit on WHS box and then guide them through the process?

One feature request:

Offer some more info with remote access list; time logged in; ip-address; action list (uploads / downloads)

One question:

What to do with the output of the Server Storage Diagnostics? The output is a very long list which will be impossible to understand for most users, and which I think is not even always correct.

Monday, October 8, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Nice tool kit. Thanks MS!!!
    Monday, October 8, 2007 10:29 PM
  • The questions on this thread are pretty close to each other, so I will reply just to this post only rather than to each of them.

There are two known typos in the readme.

- switch to cd command shall be /d and not -d

- name of the troubleshooter executable is wrong

I guess all people on this forum have been able to figure this out, so hopefully no harm done Wink

Some other comments in random order.

Storage diagnostics was not designed as a user-friendly tool. It is intended to collect data that will help product team to analyze potential issues with storage. Scenario to use it would be a product support call - support team may ask you to run that and send error report (something that many people here know as TALQ log). Also, it is stressed in the UI but I think I should say it again: *do not* use the server when you run storage diagnostics and reboot it after that run is complete.

Error reporting. Since I've just mentioned it... Please do not use word TALQ anymore. I realize that some old timers here may have warm feelings about the tool which existed since the product was in early beta stages. However - for the sake of new users - use term error reporting. The functionality of the tool is essentially the same.

Installation of the client component. I hope that was not much of a pain. If it was - please let me know.

Installation of the server side. This was a compromise. Yes, it is not as user friendly as the rest of the product. But one of the main goals of TK was to help people with installation of connector. And importantly - to help non-tech-savvy people. Server component does not help you if you can't get connector running Wink We will look into how we can make it better.

Future plans.

We plan to publish "Toolkit User Manual". This will be a detailed walk-through with explanation of all options and corrections of errors in the readme. There is no set date for this, but it is very high on my list.

We know that we do not know a lot. And there is no way we can simulate all environments which people have in their homes. That is why toolkit came along. We really hope it is useful.  But it may not solve some of your problems, or come short in some other way. Please keep us posted. You can post here or email home-server@hotmail.com. For the emails I do not promise responses. I do not promise that your feature requests will be in the next versions. But I do promise that we will listen and analyze all suggestions. And that we will have next version of toolkit.

Thanks for using home server!
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:56 PM
  • The Windows Home Server Toolkit readme has been posted in the FAQ section:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2253939&SiteID=50 

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:27 PM