VS Training Kit Instalation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there:

I'm having trouble installing the Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4 Training Kit for a number of hands-On Labs.

I downloaded it, then, the instructions are to run the Configuration Wizard (I don't know what wizard that is), it also instructs to double-click a "dependencies.dep" file, it is not associated to anything, so Windows asks for an application for this file.

Please, could anybody tell me what I'm I doing wrong here?

Believe you can do it, and you will!!
    • Edited by RalphDev Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:39 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:38 PM

Answers

• Ahh, Now I see your problem. The documentation of the lab (the word document) states, that the Dependency Checker is required and if it is not installed, you will find it inside the <InstallDir>\Assets\DependencyChecker

Just start the DependencyChecker.msi inside that directory and follow the instructions of the setup (Just choose the installation directory for this product).

Once this tool is installed, you can double click the .dep file and the dependency checker will be started with it.

I hope this fixes that problem for you. On my system I was able to follow these steps to install everything correctly.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by RalphDev Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:23 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

at the moment I cannot follow you. Maybe you can give us more details, what you downloaded and what instructions you followed.

What I used:

Training Kit for Visual Studio 2010 from
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=23507

The Exe isntalled perfectly to a directory I was able to choose. (c:\VS2010TrainingKit by default).

I was unable to find any instructions as you described in your post. Could you point me to the point, where you found it?

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Konrad:

Thank you for answering.

I was able to install the files too. After reading your message I checked and I saw that those instructions are in the labs I'm trying to do, IntroToMEF, it's located in the Labs folder. It comes with instructions, and there's where you'll find the reference to the Configuration Wizard. Once you open the word document IntroToMEF.docx, go to the SetUp section.

They also say that in order to perform the setup steps, I have to run the scripts in a command prompt window, I did it, but I don't know in what order I have to run these scripts, but choosing one of them, say the first, I get an error sayng that some file could no be found.

The instructions say to double click a dependecies.dep file, but it's is no associated to any application.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Ahh, Now I see your problem. The documentation of the lab (the word document) states, that the Dependency Checker is required and if it is not installed, you will find it inside the <InstallDir>\Assets\DependencyChecker

Just start the DependencyChecker.msi inside that directory and follow the instructions of the setup (Just choose the installation directory for this product).

Once this tool is installed, you can double click the .dep file and the dependency checker will be started with it.

I hope this fixes that problem for you. On my system I was able to follow these steps to install everything correctly.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by RalphDev Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:23 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi:

I found it. But when installing it asks for the instalation folder and sets C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dependency Checker\as the default, should I leave it or change it to the same folder I installed the Training Kit?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:43 PM