Restore hangs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell e6400 laptop. Just got a new hd for it which is bigger then the one I have in there and want to swap. I have done this same procedure with my Sager machine and it worked perfectly. The restore sees my network and I can pick the image I want to restore. I created the partition, formated it and made it the active one (these are steps I have read about on the web that have caused others issues). The restore will start and then will hand about 1/3 of the way in? I have done this twice with no luck and since this take a lot of time it hards to just keep testing all the time. The image does have some VMWare images on it which are rather large files, could this be a problem? Not sure what to do since I have done this before with another machine and it worked great.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:58 PM

Answers

• If you get no error messages (you only observe the progress bar is no longer moving) I suggest you give it some more time. Just let it run for 6 - 12 hours after it seems to hang. If there's still no progress please post again here.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:03 PM

All replies

• If you get no error messages (you only observe the progress bar is no longer moving) I suggest you give it some more time. Just let it run for 6 - 12 hours after it seems to hang. If there's still no progress please post again here.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Wow really that long huh? Ok you are correct I'm not getting any errors so I will start it early this evening and let it run at least 6 - 12 hours then post my results. Thank you.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Time depends on data size and network transfer speed. I don't know what makes the progress bar move. From what I've seen it's usually very optimistic in it's restore time estimate early in the process.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Ok well that could be the issue then since those VMWare files are rather large. I'll run it again tonight and report back. Thank you again for this and giving me hope :)
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:50 PM