install froze, uninstalled and now no netwoking or help or firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the trial. During the installation it froze. I removed it via the controll panel. I now no longer can access networking or help or the firewall. All of the support options seem to start with opening up onecare. I cannot reinstall as it needs a network connection. My system is useless but I guess I will not get any viruses!

pls Help
    Friday, May 9, 2008 4:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• If a simple reboot of the PC does not resolve it, try a System Restore.

To run System Restore,

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore and restore the PC to an earlier time.

If that fails to get the PC working properly, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, May 9, 2008 6:16 PM
  • I have the error that system restore is not able to protect your computer. please reboot and try again (same after reboot). The link you post does me no use as I can not get into live onecare on that pc, nor can i go online or launch network properties or help. I have followed all of the posted suggestions as well as downloaded and run all of the fix and cleanup routines posted here. I still have no networking or help or firewall ect. I just want this pos program off my pc never to return. please help. I would love a actual phone # to support as my pc was working fine until I tried to install Live onecare.
    Friday, May 9, 2008 6:37 PM
  • System Restore does not provide any message about protecting your computer. That error is apparently coming from another program and possibly OneCare, though you indicate that install froze, so it could not have installed. Assuming it did install, you state that you uninstalled it and then problems got worse.

In my previous reply I provided the steps to access System Restore from the Windows Start Menu. Follow those steps.

The link I posted for how to reach support explains how to reach support *without* opening or even having OneCare on the PC.

Furthermore, I sent an email to the address you have in your public forum profile with more detailed instructions as well as how to reach support, since I was having problems reaching the forum.

If you did not receive my email, then please send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3319228&SiteID=2.

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:39 AM
  • After the install process froze (over 1/2 hr) the only option
    I had was to remove power and reboot.
    When the reboot was done I no longer had network or internet connectivity.
    I no longer had access to help functions. \
    I no longer had network setup or or any working utility to try to diagnose the problem. I performed the removal of Onecare to solve those problems.
    tried system restore I get a message box that says System restore at the top and an error: "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. please restart your computer, and then run Sytem Restore again."
    I can find no usefull way for me to contact support in te link you sent.
    So far Onecare has rendered my pc useless for over one week .
    I have had no success resolving these issues.
    I asked for a simple telephone # for support.
    I received a link to convoluted instructions and links which just bring me to this forum.

If this forum was set up to help Pls post a telephone # or email it to me!

thnks, Gary
    Monday, May 12, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Gary, my post above yours includes my email address and instructions for contacting me.

The link provided allows you to contact support via a form for email support.

I cannot post the support phone number to the forum and will delete it if someone else posts it, per Microsoft's request. Phone support is only available to subscribers after validation of their subscription. I will respond to your email, though.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:34 PM