How to handle 1400 conflicts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I've added a folder containing a large number of photos to live mesh, and used it to sync them between PCs (but not the live desktop). All has been well for a month or so, but today I noticed 50 conflicts. I'm the only person using the mesh, and I haven't (knowingly) changed the files. On the dialogue, each file is reported to have the same size, date and time. Viewing each file in Windows Live Photo Gallery,  they seem to display OK, and have the same metadata. If it looks like a goose and sounds like a goose, it probably is a goose.

I gritted my teeth, and worked my way through 50 resolve conflict dialogues. Then I saw a message announcing another 50 conflicts. I tackled them and... another 50 appeared. I examined the file location of one of the conflicts. It's in the C:\Users\nnnnn\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea folder, along with about 1400 others. Presumably these are all conflicts.

Since I have other plans for my life, I can't resolve all of these conflicts by hand. Is there another way out?

Cheers,
    Dean
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:19 PM

Answers

• I would submit a bug explaining the problem and send my logs (if still applicable) to Connect or by email to lmprev@microsoft.com.

Then I would:

1) backup the HoldingArea folder and delete all of it's contents to see what happens
    2) as sad as it is, resync the folder. Trying to remove the folder from the mesh and then remerge it is a possibility but will most likely report the conflicts again (although probably still worth a try)

Good Luck!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:41 AM

All replies

• I would submit a bug explaining the problem and send my logs (if still applicable) to Connect or by email to lmprev@microsoft.com.

Then I would:

1) backup the HoldingArea folder and delete all of it's contents to see what happens
    2) as sad as it is, resync the folder. Trying to remove the folder from the mesh and then remerge it is a possibility but will most likely report the conflicts again (although probably still worth a try)

Good Luck!
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:41 AM
  • The conflict GUI really needs an 'Apply to all' to handle a large number of conflicts.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:35 PM
  • agreed - it's been proposed on the sticky, add your vote! :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:39 PM
  • nachmore said:

agreed - it's been proposed on the sticky, add your vote! :)

I agree as well - and encourage one and all to add your vote for this to our Suggestions sticky as nachmore says.  The more people we have asking for a particular feature, the higher its visibility for our developers!

Ben.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:07 PM