Blocked key from valid license RRS feed

• General discussion

• http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/407e78da-7211-4579-9367-708720b31717

Even though the above topic was marked as 'Answered' and whilst I have been reasonable with regards to my GENUINE key being blocked, I frankly find the 2nd to last post in the aforementioned thread of a somewhat unprofessional attitude.

I am supposedy to blame for wanting to regulary upgrade my hardware, and my key being permanently blocked as a result. MS can not prove my license was being abused (which I still firmly maintain was not), yet I am being punished. This is abysmal, and closing the last thread whilst leaving my matter unresolved is very annoying and has actually make me rather angry. There has been no offer to at least compensate for the fact that my genuine, original license is now basically useless, and all I'm left with is a scrap of paper with a replacement key. Please dont give me any more spiele about appeasing the 'gods at validation', this shouldn't need to be the case. As far as I'm concerned, I'm innocent until proven guilty.

• Moved by Darin Smith MSModerator Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:35 PM Not a Technical Support issue. Moved to Feedback and Comments section (From:Windows 7 Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows 7))
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:24 PM

All replies

• The second to last post was Dan's, it was marked as the answer and while I would have worded it differently it was 100% correct. Dan said nothing unprofessional pluss the fact that he isn't getting paid to post or answer questions, in that regards he is not posting as a professional MS employee but as a helpful volunteer.

They gave you a replacement key, that means they believed you, understood your situation and have done what they can to rectify the situation, now you need to document and store the key in a safe place. Also, be mindful of how activation is affected by hardware changes. There are a couple of good blogs and sites that discuss activation. www.theeldergeek.com or even better www.winsupersite.com

I do not personaly like activation but if it protects profit margins and therefore employment for everyone from the developers at MS to the checkout clerk at your local big box store then I am OK with it.

Dan Wrote

"Hello In-Fluence,

Before you condemn the product activation system (which has been in effect for over eight years, and which is fully described in numerous technical articles and is thoroughly covered in the Software Licensing Terms), you have to appreciate the fact that your use of the product is very, very unusual when compared to the hugely vast majority of Windows users.  It is probably an infinitesimal percentage of users that ever use the product as you describe your use."

Nothing objectionable there.

"Microsoft is not trying to insult you or accuse you of pirating.  Just understand that the way you use the product is so far afield from most that the gods of Product Activation will have to be appeased from time to time ;-)"

Nothing wrong with that statement

"If you are on the "bleeding edge" of tech and are making all these changes because you are trying out the latest tech coming out, let's be serious, a little hiccup to call in to activate should be nothing compared to wrestling with balky beta drivers, grokking inscrutably translated user guides, and doing the RMA kibuki dance when the new gizmo goes up in smoke.""

I see nothing objectionable here.

Dan doesn't need me to defend him, but when you say the second to the last post was unprofessional and we read the above as the second to the last post and find nothing objectionable or incorrect then your entire argument is discredited.

Finally, Dan offered good advice. I would have put it differently in that I would have advised you to use the full 30 days of the grace period prior to activating, also, I would advise you keep one computer "as is" and stable and use another to experiment with hardware, you do not need to activate the product when testing hardware, and reinstalling. You need to activate when you use it longer than 30 days. This is what MS tells us when we are testing our deployment installations, to conserve activations on a given key only activate it if we are going to test it longer than the grace period.

Now for my rant about licensing

MS has programs for home users (anytime upgrade, family packs, etc). They have subscriptions for developers and IT's. But there is a huge gaping hole for the enthusiast market. If you do over activate your key you can talk to MS and get a new key but it would be a very good thing if MS can find a way to incorporate the tech enthusiasts into their activation process in a manner that they did not have to get a key replaced in a similar circumstance to this. I am not sure how this would work, maybe market to enthusiasts, have a higher activation limit. Or create a mini subscription for enthuiasts with safegaurds to prevent and MSDN key type debacle.

I kind of like the idea of a subscription for enthusiasts, couple of keys for an OS, learning benifits, the ability to request replacement keys if neccesary.

Actually, I think subscriptions would be better for all of us, MS included, as long as the keys never expire.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:40 PM
  • I do actually disagree with you on the third paragraph as this isn't relevant, and from my point of view, it's not constructive either.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into 'who said what' - I don't really care about that now. The fact remains that I still have what should still be a valid license key and the problem isn't resolved which is the main reason I brought this up again. I didn't get any kind of warnings telling me that I'm over-activating, nor was there any information available to me stating exactly how many times is 'too many'. Granted, the grace period is there to give you that leaway, but in my case - I had used a few motherboards, each installed for a month or two at a time. I don't have the space for a second machine (nor the funds for a 2nd license or energy bills) and don't really have the need. Another of my main reasons for activating was so I could use MS security essentials to help protect my data.

I think the idea of a subscription for enthusiasts is a very good, constructive suggestion which could possibly prevent these kind of issues, and I welcome the idea.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:14 PM
  • You recieved a replacement key. If that doesn's suffice........
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:31 PM
  • ........?

Please elaborate. I'm eager to know what your suggestion is! Will I get a new box if this doesn't suffice? Or maybe even a free ultimate license?!

Friday, September 24, 2010 11:45 AM
  • ........?

Please elaborate. I'm eager to know what your suggestion is! Will I get a new box if this doesn't suffice? Or maybe even a free ultimate license?!

It means, I don't know. Plain and simple, I don't understand what you need to make this better. I know that your old key was blocked, you recieved a new key, you are appear to be upset because you did not get a new COA with the new key and feel you can't sell it if you ever choose to. Personaly, selling windows online as a used product has turned into a dead end because of all of the piracy, if you sold it in person you could just explain the situation. If you feel you have been wronged then you have recourse but there is nothing WE can do here. We are just volunteers.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:23 PM