Upgrading to CRM 2013 general question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, my company is planning to upgrade to CRM 2013 sometime during this year. I have begun reading up on best practices and through Microsoft's "How to Prepare for the Upgrade to 2013" guide. It looks like the migration approach is the best option but I have one question.

When we set up the server for 2013 can we customize the system and fix all the broken plugins and java script issues we will run into while the company remains using the old CRM 2011? Or is that some kind of violation of the license agreement? If that's the case what is the best approach to upgrade to a new system and have it not working properly for a month or so and causes issues for the entire company working in it?

We have close to a 100 jscript web resources running and probably 20 plugins. Many of which run onsave,on create, update which I see will have issues with the new auto save functionality. I'm hoping I can get the 2013 set up and working properly before we upgrade the entire company. Otherwise how do other people handle this because it would basically shut down the CRM for our company until these plugins and jscripts were made compatible with 2013.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:43 PM

Answers

• A 90 day trial might be an option, or else using Online trials for development and testing. Making something work in Online just about assures it will work for On Premise. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40341

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:54 PM
  • For on premise orgs, you could install CRM 2013 in dev/test environment and you could work on fixing all the defects and issues (restore the prod org to this test environment). Once you complete it, then you can upgrade the live org(s) to crm 2013, and roll out the fixes to the 2013 org. This way you will have less down time for clients and an environment for you to work on issues!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:08 PM

All replies

• A 90 day trial might be an option, or else using Online trials for development and testing. Making something work in Online just about assures it will work for On Premise. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40341

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:54 PM
  • For on premise orgs, you could install CRM 2013 in dev/test environment and you could work on fixing all the defects and issues (restore the prod org to this test environment). Once you complete it, then you can upgrade the live org(s) to crm 2013, and roll out the fixes to the 2013 org. This way you will have less down time for clients and an environment for you to work on issues!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Thank you both for the responses. I'll see what I can put together.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:59 PM