none
Help with VBA code in Excel 2007 (VSTO 2005) RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if somebody can take a look and ideally rewrite the marked areas of the code below. At best it behaves very unstable if used within an Excel Add-in, mostly it fails.

Sub Writeback(pcell As PivotCell, newval As Double)

Dim adocmd As New adodb.Command

Dim adocon As New adodb.Connection

Dim pt As PivotTable

Dim pcache As PivotCache

Set pt = pcell.Parent

Dim pf As PivotField

Dim pitmlist(2) As PivotItemList

Set pcache = pt.PivotCache

Dim cmdtxt As String

Dim itmtxt As String

Dim oldcf As String

Dim cubnam As String

Dim i As Integer

'Make sure Excel's connection is active

If Not pcache.IsConnected Then

pcache.MakeConnection

End If

'Get Excel session command object and also get handle to connection object

Set adocmd.ActiveConnection = pcache.ADOConnection

adocmd.ActiveConnection.BeginTrans

'In cmdtxt we will build up command to send to AS 2000 to perform allocation

cmdtxt = ""

cmdtxt = cmdtxt & pcell.DataField.Name & ","

'Add each page field to cmdtxt

If pt.PageFields.Count > 0 Then

'
    ' HERE!
    '

For
    Each pf In pt.PageFields cmdtxt = cmdtxt & pf.CurrentPageName & "," Next pf End If Set pitmlist(1) = pcell.RowItems Set pitmlist(2) = pcell.ColumnItems Dim k As Integer For k = 1 To 2 If pitmlist(k).Count > 0 Then 'Add row fields to cmdtxt, if any in view 'itmtxt is temporary text holder. Only add lowest level of each dimension in view to cmdtxt itmtxt = "" oldcf = pitmlist(k)(1).Parent.CubeField.Name 'itmtxt = "" 'This loop only adds to cmdtxt when CubeField changes For i = 1 To pitmlist(k).Count If pitmlist(k)(i).Parent.CubeField.Name = oldcf Then '
    'HERE!
    '

itmtxt = pitmlist(k)(i) Else cmdtxt = cmdtxt & itmtxt & "," oldcf = pitmlist(k)(i).Parent.CubeField.Name itmtxt = pitmlist(k)(i) End If Next i 'Last rowitem is always lowest level and so added to cmdtxt '
    'HERE
    ' itmtxt = pitmlist(k)(pitmlist(k).Count) cmdtxt = cmdtxt & itmtxt & "," End If Next k cubnam = "[" & pcache.CommandText & "]" 'Could be modified to use other AS 2000 allocation algorithms cmdtxt = "Update cube " & cubnam & " set (" & _ VBA.Left(cmdtxt, Len(cmdtxt) - 1) & ")=" & newval & " Use_Equal_increment" adocmd.CommandText = cmdtxt adocmd.CommandType = adodb.adCmdUnknown adocmd.Execute 'Transaction can be commited if desired and cube is read/write for user adocmd.ActiveConnection.CommitTrans 'adocon.CommitTrans 'Need to refresh PivotTable to see effect of allocation in view pcache.Refresh End Sub

Any help is appreciated.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 11:45 AM

All replies

• The VSTO forum supports the VSTO technology, which uses C# and/or VB.NET. VBA problems are not supported here and should be asked in the Excel.programming newsgroup. You'll find a link in the VSTO forum's Please Read First message.

Whenever you post a question, please be sure to mention the version of Excel involved and what you're trying to achieve with the code. Also indicate in what way the code is "not working" - in detail.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Monday, March 30, 2009 5:08 PM
  • It is not a VBA problem, it is a missing statement or CAST that I need to dod to get the code working within an Excel Add-in. So I believe this is the correct place for my question.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:52 AM