No anti virus found by whs RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 PC's all with AVG anti virus and currently no anti virus on my WHS. Every time I turn on a PC the whs network health says no virus protection found or is out of date and system status is critical on the PC I just turned on. Why? And what can I do to make it stop?
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:54 PM not an add-in/dev question (From:Windows Home Server Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi
    Same problem here. It started some weeks ago. On my configuration I have Avast anti virus installed on my WHS and F-secure on all workstations.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Ditto, running Sophos Enterprise on clients and on WHS.  WHS complains about the clients being out of date, which they are not.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Try installing Windows Defender: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx
    I am using it after reading a lot of reviews on free antivirus software for SBS2003/WHS machines. Conclusion; there just isn't a great deal of GOOD, free software available for SBS2003/WHS.

Here my network is 'healthy', I have no viruses on my server even though I have downloaded many Gb's from Usenet.

I really like WHS and Windows 7!
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Good suggestion.  I just started having problems with F-Secure, so I uninstalled it.  Found your post searching for an alternative.  This isn't Anti-virus (as far as I can tell), but it gives some protection while we wait for a better WHS solution.

My two cents - making a simple AV for WHS shouldn't be hard.  My personal experience has always been that a simple virus scanner that does a nightly scan, and basic system file protection is sufficient for most computers.  I combine this with Spybot S&D, and I have never had an issue.  I think real-time scanning, especially on WHS, is a waste of resources.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:22 AM
  • hi,

i am using WHS with 2 windows seven and both with microsft security essentials and i have the same problem. may be beacause it is the trial version of WHS?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:29 PM
  • No, it's not related to your trial version. Windows Home Server relies on Windows Security Center to report AV/firewall status correctly, and because of changes to how Windows Security Center works in Windows 7, it seems that some AV products result in this issue. You can try setting the Security Center service to automatic start (it's normally configured for delayed start) and possibly the AV service(s) as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:26 PM