Server Storage Doesn't See My USB HD RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add an external USB hard drive to my server to test the new server backup feature but it won't show up in the console. I've tried both USB and eSATA connections and I have deleted the partition that was on it. Still it won't show up, but it is seen in Disk Management and My Computer on the server.

Any thoughts?
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:54 AM

Answers

•  

Microsoft posted the following workaround in the bug report I submitted earlier (352198).  I tried it and it worked great for me. Thnks again Microsft.  

1.    Plug the drive into a different machine.
    2.    From command line, type DiskPart.
    3.    Type “List Disk” to view disks.
    4.    Type “Select Disk Number” where Number would be the number of the disk shown in the output of “List Disk”
    5.    Type “Clean”
    6.    Plugging it back into the home server.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:47 AM

All replies

•  lifeinchains wrote:
    I am trying to add an external USB hard drive to my server to test the new server backup feature but it won't show up in the console. I've tried both USB and eSATA connections and I have deleted the partition that was on it. Still it won't show up, but it is seen in Disk Management and My Computer on the server.

Any thoughts?

Did you try doing a full NTFS format of the drive?  (You should also file a bug report on Connect.)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:55 AM
  • I have tried to format it twice now.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Please file a bug report with logs and screenshots where applicable.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Have you tried rebooting the server?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:43 AM
  • I am having a similar (same) problem.  My WHS is at PP1 RC.  I added one USB hard drive (WD 1TB)  to the server with no problems.  When I tred to add the second USB drive (another WD 1TB drive), it showed up in My Computer but would not show up in the WHS server console (under server storage).  I have reformatted (full) the drive, and also rebooted WHS machine several times and still have the issue.  I will be happy to submit a bug report if appropriate, but didn't want to duplicate if one had already been submitted by thread originator.   

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:42 AM
  • I have not submitted a bug report yet, so you can feel free to submit one if you'd like.

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:59 AM
  •  

Thanks.  I will submit one later today but if anyone has any good ideas of how to fix this issue, don't hesitate to post here.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Charles,

Are both external USB drives using the same USB controller? Have you tried different ports/controllers?

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I have tried adding the new drive to every available USB port I have.  Same problem.  It shows up in My Computer as the E drive but will not show up in WHS server storage tab as available.

Charles

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:30 PM
  • I submitted a bug report to Connect late yesterday.  The id is 352198.   Hopefully they will find a solution soon.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:41 PM
  •  

Microsoft posted the following workaround in the bug report I submitted earlier (352198).  I tried it and it worked great for me. Thnks again Microsft.  

1.    Plug the drive into a different machine.
    2.    From command line, type DiskPart.
    3.    Type “List Disk” to view disks.
    4.    Type “Select Disk Number” where Number would be the number of the disk shown in the output of “List Disk”
    5.    Type “Clean”
    6.    Plugging it back into the home server.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:47 AM