Adding Hard Drive Space RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was reading a post here a few days ago and recall an individual who was having a problem with the system reporting innaccurate drive space and slow copy times. Can't remember who's post it was.

I recently added another terabyte drive and noticed the same thing, drive space reporting in widows explorer did not seem to increase but no matter how many files I copied it did not go down either. It would appear that windows explorer tends to take a look at the free space on the primary drive and ignores the rest. As files are copied to the landing pad then moved off into the storage volumesfree reported disk space changes little. I would need to log into the WHS consol to see actual disk usage.

Not sure if other people noticed this as well.

As to performance, adding the additonal drive slows down performance considerably when coping files. It appears that files are first copied to the landing pad then moved off to the storage volume, there is just not enough performance in the Sempron processor and 512mg ram to make this happen fast. Good thing is that when copies are complete it is more than fast enough to feed my HTPC with stored BluRay and HDDVD movies.

Panson

Monday, December 24, 2007 1:56 PM

Answers

• Panson, the available space reported by Windows Explorer from a client PC is, as you've guessed, only the space available on the D: partition of the system drive. This is one reason why Microsoft strongly recommends a large drive for your system drive.

The performance hit you're seeing is caused by Drive Extender. Adding memory (replacing the DIMM that's installed form the factory) will help a bit, but most of the performance hit will remain. Since the most common use of a home server isn't for storing a new file on the server, it's for reading an old file back off the server, I don't see it as a major issue; it's just something that I hope Microsoft will be able to attend to at some point.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 3:09 PM

All replies

• Panson, the available space reported by Windows Explorer from a client PC is, as you've guessed, only the space available on the D: partition of the system drive. This is one reason why Microsoft strongly recommends a large drive for your system drive.

The performance hit you're seeing is caused by Drive Extender. Adding memory (replacing the DIMM that's installed form the factory) will help a bit, but most of the performance hit will remain. Since the most common use of a home server isn't for storing a new file on the server, it's for reading an old file back off the server, I don't see it as a major issue; it's just something that I hope Microsoft will be able to attend to at some point.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 3:09 PM

• Pansonsito,

My WHS setup has 14 hard drives (currently) and I haven't experienced any performance issues at any time.

For a frame of reference, I routinely copy 6 - 7 GB files across my (gigabit) network to the server and those finish in 5 - 6 min.

As for inaccurate drive space, I've never seen that either, using the WHS Console, the new drives always report the size that they are.

I agree with Ken, adding RAM will give you the biggest performance increase in your current system.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 7:21 PM
  •  

is that still true if you have 4 hard drives? it copys to the first drive. Then copys off and puts it on the others?

What if its a file your editing contantly and have 4 hard drives. Like excel file or access database.

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:54 PM
  • I noticed an immediate performance drop when adding a second drive, believe it is from the HP MSS being slightly underpowered. Good thing is performance remained flat when adding the 3rd and 4th drives to the mix, HighDef movies stream well still so other than the data corruption issues I am good.

As soon as the warranty expires I will be doing the ram upgrade. Don't care if the consol pops up in 4 secs vs 8 secs for now.

Cheers all and thanks for the answers.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:38 AM