OneCare vs. Norton 360 RRS feed

• Question

•    Good morning,

I like much of what I have read re: OneCare as an all around protection suite... My license for Norton 360 is set to expire < 30 days and I am considering a change. Before I just take a leap of faith I have a couple of questions for anyone who has used Norton 360 EXTENSIVELY and then either switched to or has been tinkering with OneCare and considering a switch:

1.  Which is a more comprehensive system/provides in your opinion the "best" safety, fewest system glitches. [FYI. Mine is an older XP machine - fairly loaded - my Internet usage is best described as moderate - my technical savy is < average... 1 - 10 scale I am @ 3.8 in an  honest self asessment.
    2.  VALUE... not price Norton is a bit more expensive BUT provides a wide range of coverage... My interest in OneCare stems from one stop shopping, one seamless system built to operate w/the tools I use; IE7, Live Mail, XP (Vista?), etc.

Thanks to any/all who may post for your time and careful consideration of my inquiry and Happy Holidays!

Scott

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:06 PM

Answers

• I am most certainly not impartial and I have not used Norton 360 extensively. You'll find other threads here about Norton 360 and perhaps others will step in to relate their experiences. What I've seen as the most common positive for 360 is that the backup portion is perhaps better than OneCare in that it has more configurable options. On the positive side for OneCare, it tends to use less system resources to do its business.

I would not consider OneCare only because it is a Microsoft product with the idea that it will behave better on an all Microsoft system. Think of OneCare as a 3rd party product.

My recommendation is to try it yourself using the 90 day free trial when your current Norton subscription expires. You will need to uninstall Norton 360 completely before installing OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:09 PM

All replies

• I am most certainly not impartial and I have not used Norton 360 extensively. You'll find other threads here about Norton 360 and perhaps others will step in to relate their experiences. What I've seen as the most common positive for 360 is that the backup portion is perhaps better than OneCare in that it has more configurable options. On the positive side for OneCare, it tends to use less system resources to do its business.

I would not consider OneCare only because it is a Microsoft product with the idea that it will behave better on an all Microsoft system. Think of OneCare as a 3rd party product.

My recommendation is to try it yourself using the 90 day free trial when your current Norton subscription expires. You will need to uninstall Norton 360 completely before installing OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I can give you my experiences using both (I have a Norton 360 license).

With regards to backups, as Stephen said Norton has the definitive edge at the moment.  I understand Microsoft was trying to simplify the backup process, but they made it far too simple.  Many files that a user might want to backup can't.

Another area for Norton 360 "might" be in overall effectiveness against baddies.  I say "might" because most (all?) of the independent testing done with Symantec and Microsoft are from 3-6 months ago -- NOT using the OneCare 2.0 product.  OneCare 2.0 is a HUGE improvement, and the one test I did see recently had them tied (AV-Comparatives Retrospective test).  Symantec simply has history behind it as being effective.  On a side note, Norton 360 doesn't have an on-demand scan - If you want to be able to check a single file, you won't be able to do it, just FYI.  A second side note:  The differences in most AVs is barely a few percent, and change frequently. 

However, here is where I see more on the OneCare side:  First off, system performance is barely touched with OneCare - Sometimes I wonder if its even doing anything its so light (it is, I've checked! ).  Norton 360 is light as well, but you may notice some slowdown in browsing comparatively.

OneCare also allows you to manage multiple PCs.  I can keep an eye on the status of my PC, my wife's PC, and my daughter's PC from my screen, and make sure backups are happening.  That's nice.

And while Stephen says to consider OneCare a 3rd party product, I do feel more confident that it integrates better.  Part of this has to do with the fact that they are both made by the same vendor:  While they have the same information as Symantec has for putting together the product's integration with an OS, I'd bet they have better access to ask questions if needed.  Second, Norton is famous unfortunately for the mess it leaves behind when uninstalled.  I don't like that personally.

That's just MY personal opinion having used both products.  At present I'm using OneCare as I've heard very good things about the effectiveness of version 2, and I simply love how light it is on my system.  As more independent AV tests come out in the next month or so, I'll decide if I stay with it (but right now its looking good).  In truth though, the best way to compare is to do what Stephen suggested, and run the trial - That's what I did, and its the best way to see how they will run on your computer.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:10 AM