Article ID : 555913 HOW TO: Enable and disable Auto-activation feature in Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista Home Basic in a dual boot setting to see how it ran on my computer. I deliberately unchecked the activate at install box. When the installation was complete, I noticed the usual icon in the system tray telling me I had 30 days to activate.

Later that same day, I discovered that the installation had apparently automatically activated. Upon checking your forums, it appears that automatic activation occurs  three days after install.

It seems to me that Microsoft is deceiving it's customers by publicising one set of rules when in actual fact, they are following another. With the same day activation, it would appear that yet another set of rules has been introduced.

How about some honesty Microsoft and tell what your activation policy really is?

The situation as it is at the moment suggests to me that Microsoft does not care about its customers let alone customer goodwill.

Remember, Microsoft, you are only as powerful as you are because it is customers like me that have supported your products. Loose sight of this fact and you may find one day the situation has changed.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 9:49 PM

Answers

• Paul1nz,

Is this an OEM license for Vista or a retail license for Vista?

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:08 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2007 3:06 AM

All replies

• You should have installed Windows Vista without typing in the Product Key.  Then you would not have been able to activate.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Paul1nz,

Is this an OEM license for Vista or a retail license for Vista?

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:08 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2007 3:06 AM