Live OneCare Installation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install Windows Live OneCare.  When I enter the product Key from the package CD holder (inside) the system claims it is an invalid Key.  I bought the sealed package at STAPLES and tried at least six "interpretrations" of the key ("o" vs "0"; differenent cases, etc.) but no luck.  Nor could I find a Customer Service number ANYWHERE in the product package.  After 45 minutes on what I thought was a simple "insert CD; click Install" I am very frustrated and about ready to junk the whole thing.  Any Suggestions??

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:18 AM

Answers

• Try using a magnifying glass to read the miserable to read characters. I am often bitten by the font that they use and the similarity of many characters.

Unfortunately, support via telephone requires and active subscription, which you don't have yet until you activate. :-( I wish that they put the number in the retail box, but....

You can still reach support via email if you wish:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Note that you have 15 days of trial use before you need to activate, and even then you are still protected for a grace period of appx. 30 more days, but manual processes in OneCare will be unavailable.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:29 PM

All replies

• Try using a magnifying glass to read the miserable to read characters. I am often bitten by the font that they use and the similarity of many characters.

Unfortunately, support via telephone requires and active subscription, which you don't have yet until you activate. :-( I wish that they put the number in the retail box, but....

You can still reach support via email if you wish:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Note that you have 15 days of trial use before you need to activate, and even then you are still protected for a grace period of appx. 30 more days, but manual processes in OneCare will be unavailable.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:29 PM
  • The main thing to check for a B's and 8's being mixed up.  Also the J's can sometimes look like an i.

You can always open up an email support incident and maybe take a digital camera picture (or a scan) of your product key and send it to the technician.  They see these kind of keys all the time and are usually pretty good at figuring out what numbers may be interpreted incorrectly.

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:59 PM