none
ATA, SATA or PATA? RRS feed

• Question

• WHS first stopped loading on my PC because it needed more RAM (duh) then it stopped because of HD space (another duh) -you know, a list of min HW requirements may have helped??? DUH.

So i have this 300GB PATA drive but when WHS is loading it says only ATA or SATA...can someone tell me if PATA is compatible? Before i buy another HD?

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:16 AM

All replies

•  DonThomps wrote:

WHS first stopped loading on my PC because it needed more RAM (duh) then it stopped because of HD space (another duh) -you know, a list of min HW requirements may have helped??? DUH.

So i have this 300GB PATA drive but when WHS is loading it says only ATA or SATA...can someone tell me if PATA is compatible? Before i buy another HD?

If you would have taken five minutes to search, you would have found min HW requirements....

PATA is compatible...  you can even mix sata and pata.... but most recommend that you stick with sata due to it being somewhat faster with multiple drives.  Personally, I've not seen this speed increase, but I'll take their word for it... 

to answer your other question, this was on this site... under the faq...

The recommended settings for Windows Home Server are:

CPU: 1GHz Pentium 3 or better
    RAM: 512MB minimum
    Hard Drive:1 Hard Drive 80GB internal (IDE, ATA, SATA, or SCSI)
    DVD drive that is bootable
    Monitor for the installation
    QWERTY Keyboard and mouse or a compatible pointing device.  Also installation only.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 100Mbps Ethernet
    MotherBoard must be ACPI compliant

Must have Windows Server 2003 driver support.

I would recommend using 2 or more hard drives if you can.  This will allow Windows Home Server to make duplications if you turn Shared Folder duplication on.  With 3 hard drives or more, this moves information off the hard drive that has Windows Home Server installed on.  If you only have 1 or 2 hard drives for now, you can always easily add more later on by simply plugging a USB hard drive in or installing one internally and adding it to your Server Storage.

In other words, my recommended setup would be the following or better:

CPU: 2GHz
    RAM: 1GB
    Hard Drives: One 300GB hard drive for Windows Home Server and two 300GB drives (or larger) for the storage.
    DVD drive that is bootable
    Monitor for the installation
    QWERTY Keyboard and mouse or a compatible pointing device.  Also installation only.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 1Gbps Ethernet
    MotherBoard must be ACPI compliant

Please note: Laptops are not supported per the Release Documentation.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just a little question... perhaps a little off-topic?

I've 1x80Go and 2x500Go HDD in my WHS server.

First, I've put the system on the 80Go Drive. But I've seen somewhere that we must put a larger disk for the system, something which the ability to copy large amount of data I think. So, I reinstall my WHS on one of the 500Go drive.

But what about that : "With 3 hard drives or more, this moves information off the hard drive that has Windows Home Server installed on."

Does this mean that only 80Go of datas will be duplicated out of the system disk, and the rest with the data part of the system disk ?

Finnaly, I wonder if I'm going to reinstall my WHS on the 80Go in order to have the maximum of data duplicated on the two 500Go HDD... which are just new (so minor risk of failure) and have best performances.

What do you think of that ?

What do you think is the best configuration in my case ?

Thanks for the little help...

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:50 AM
  •  sbocquet wrote:

Hi,

Just a little question... perhaps a little off-topic?

I've 1x80Go and 2x500Go HDD in my WHS server.

First, I've put the system on the 80Go Drive. But I've seen somewhere that we must put a larger disk for the system, something which the ability to copy large amount of data I think. So, I reinstall my WHS on one of the 500Go drive.

But what about that : "With 3 hard drives or more, this moves information off the hard drive that has Windows Home Server installed on."

Does this mean that only 80Go of datas will be duplicated out of the system disk, and the rest with the data part of the system disk ?

Finnaly, I wonder if I'm going to reinstall my WHS on the 80Go in order to have the maximum of data duplicated on the two 500Go HDD... which are just new (so minor risk of failure) and have best performances.

What do you think of that ?

What do you think is the best configuration in my case ?

Thanks for the little help...

First I think you should throw the 80 g drive in the trash.  You have 2 500 g drives... if you fill those up that 80 g drive is not going to do anything for you. 

The minimum you should go for a third drive, to help with the two 500 g drives is maybe a 320 gb drive... I'd personally go for another 500 gb.  But two 500 gb drives should do just fine... an 80 gb drive... sometimes I hope people are kidding....

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:37 AM
  •  

Morning,

Although Microsoft recommend 80GB, that means that your opportunity for file transfers is limited. 20GB will be taken immediately for your C: drive, leaving 60Gb for everything else. In this day and age, that really is not enough. They also recommend that your system disk is the largest drive in your system.

The 'ideal' setup would be three disk minimum, with your system disk being 400GB or so. That way, the vacant space on the system disk would act as the landing spave for your transferred files etc from other clients. Plus, having a further two disks for data, would mean that your data is duplicated across drive two and three. That means, when a system disk fails, there is very little to rebuild, apart from the tombstones etc.

Colin

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:03 AM