Drive not showing up properly RRS feed

• Question

• I just did a reinstall of WHS because of various issues I was having.  After the install I did all the Windows updates and it seems I don't have access to my 5th hard drive which is my bigest drive (1 terabyte drive).  It shows up in server storage as "Not Added".  It will also only allow me to remove it when I click on it (no repair option).  

I logged into the server and the drive is showing up as L in My computer.  How do I readd it to the server without losing the data on it.  
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:17 PM

Answers

• I've not got my answer.  All the data in the 1T drive will be available.  But of course there are new problems.  I am going to need to make a new post for this new issue.  I feel like I am really struggling here.  
    • Marked as answer by Ilan Silver Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:51 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:51 AM

All replies

• Looks like the same thing has happened to you as what happened to me (see my thread 'Issues with Self Build + Reinstall') - wonder if theres a connected issue?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:35 PM
  • I just did a reinstall of WHS because of various issues I was having.  After the install I did all the Windows updates and it seems I don't have access to my 5th hard drive which is my bigest drive (1 terabyte drive).  It shows up in server storage as "Not Added".  It will also only allow me to remove it when I click on it (no repair option).  

I logged into the server and the drive is showing up as L in My computer.  How do I readd it to the server without losing the data on it.  

There is no supported way of doing that.  You can try another Server Reinstallation.  (If you do that, make sure you see all 5 hard drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen before going any further.)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 4:15 PM
  • I did another reinstallation and it did show all the hard drives before installation.  However it still sets it too another drive letter.  This time after reinstallation it set it too a E: drive letter instead of L.  I can't believe that all the data is lost because before the server installation the drive was running perfectly.  I have included a screenshot of the contents that are on the E drive now.  It seems like it should be read.  

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/1/0/4/202445/windowshomeserver-0.jpg?rev=0 - Image of info on drive

Maybe someone could explain an unsupported way to do this.  
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:18 PM
  • A few other things that I have noticed.  The Server Storage will only allow me to Remote the drive.  I am also getting an unusual error for Home Network Health.  I have posted screenshot for both.

Monday, September 14, 2009 4:41 PM
  • I did another reinstallation and it did show all the hard drives before installation.  However it still sets it too another drive letter.  This time after reinstallation it set it too a E: drive letter instead of L.  I can't believe that all the data is lost because before the server installation the drive was running perfectly.  I have included a screenshot of the contents that are on the E drive now.  It seems like it should be read.  

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/1/0/4/202445/windowshomeserver-0.jpg?rev=0 - Image of info on drive

Maybe someone could explain an unsupported way to do this.  
    It's probably not working because there is no DE folder.  You will probably have to do another Server Reinstallation without that drive attached.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:54 AM
  • I was a little bit ahead of you on this one.  I did do another reinstall without the drive connected.  It is giving me the same warnings and has set the drive letter to E.  I have a felling that the computer thinks that the hard drive is failling.  Last week it took me 4 server reinstalls before I would stop getting various errors during installation.  When installing I would check out the My Computer icon and the D drive would show up and vanish over and over again.  I think this is because it's having some reason reading it.  

After I insalled the OS without the hard drive it installed smoothly.  I don't know how WHS reads drives but howver it does it, it doesn't like this drive.  I have hooked up the drive to another computer and I can see the data sitting on it.  I think I am going to be a new 1T drive and just move what data I can over and just assume it has something to do with the drive. It's just very strange that this happened after a server reinsallation.  It was A O.K.  before that.  
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ilan Silver Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Is that drive internal or USB connected?
    Some USB enclosures do not well harmonize with the usage in the WHS storage pool, so it is not very recommended to use them besides for backup purposes.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:51 AM
  • I am not willing to make this the proposed answer until I get a 1T drive and try the backup.  I hope to have this done in the next 72 hours.  
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:49 AM
  • I've not got my answer.  All the data in the 1T drive will be available.  But of course there are new problems.  I am going to need to make a new post for this new issue.  I feel like I am really struggling here.  
    • Marked as answer by Ilan Silver Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:51 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:51 AM