How to move my WHS from one machine to another? RRS feed

• Question

• So I have another machine that I want to move my WHS to, but dont really want to have to go through the trouble of installing the OS, and then transferring all of my files from one machine to the other (Yes, know I could do this, but am trying to look for an easier method). Obviously I know I cannot just take out the hard drives and put it in the new machine and expect it to work. But what I was wondering is do you guys think this would work:

What if I take all of the hard drives out of my current machine, put them in the new machine and do an OS re-install (The one that doesnt touch your DATA partitions)? This way I could just leave all my data on the drives and the only time wasted would be the time it takes to re-install the OS. Would this work, or am I stuck with doing a complete OS install on the new machine and then transferring all 200 GB of data from one to the other? 

Thanks for your time
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:39 PM

Answers

• The server reinstallation will, in theory, do what you want. If you need drivers to access any of your drives, it becomes a little more difficult because you need to supply those to setup, and if you need drivers for setup to see/access your system drive, it will be considerably more difficult because you'll need to supply those twice: the first time in the initial graphical portion of setup, and the second time just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt. The second time you need to supply your storage drivers, they will have to be on a floppy disk.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• The server reinstallation will, in theory, do what you want. If you need drivers to access any of your drives, it becomes a little more difficult because you need to supply those to setup, and if you need drivers for setup to see/access your system drive, it will be considerably more difficult because you'll need to supply those twice: the first time in the initial graphical portion of setup, and the second time just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt. The second time you need to supply your storage drivers, they will have to be on a floppy disk.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:34 PM
  • So I have another machine that I want to move my WHS to, but dont really want to have to go through the trouble of installing the OS, and then transferring all of my files from one machine to the other (Yes, know I could do this, but am trying to look for an easier method). Obviously I know I cannot just take out the hard drives and put it in the new machine and expect it to work. But what I was wondering is do you guys think this would work:

What if I take all of the hard drives out of my current machine, put them in the new machine and do an OS re-install (The one that doesnt touch your DATA partitions)? This way I could just leave all my data on the drives and the only time wasted would be the time it takes to re-install the OS. Would this work, or am I stuck with doing a complete OS install on the new machine and then transferring all 200 GB of data from one to the other? 

Thanks for your time

FYI, moving your OEM license from one computer to another is not allowed (except in the case of hardware failure) and MS has the right not to allow you to activate your license again.  I'm not saying they will do that, just that they can.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:42 PM