Homse Server Console Login Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

After receiving the 120 day WHS trial just before Christmas I had nothing better to do in the silly season than spend my nights setting it up. Well, it worked fine and I amanged to migrate all my data to the server. Then I started to install some add-ins, which is when things started to mess up! Now I wish I had stuck to my other real presents ...

Just to re-iterate, everything was working ok, including remote access and home network access, backups etc.

The add-ins I installed are (via Settings/Add-Ins/Available):
    - DupeCleaner
    - Log-Point Performance Monitor
    - avast! Antivirus
    - TV Manager
    - WHS Disk Management Add-In
    - WHS Outlook

I also removed the graphics card in my computer as it was going to run head-less (there is no graphics support on the motherboard).

After installing these and removal of the graphics card I encountered the porblem that I was not able to log onto the WHS from the home network using RDC or the Home Server Console (HSC). So in effect I could nto get to the WHS as it was head-less ...

So I installed the graphics card again, and the problem persisted. Then I removed all of the add-ins (I actually received an uninstall error for the WHS Outlook add-in and had to remove it from the registry). That did not solve the problem either.

The I noticed that I did not have a single connection in the Terminal Services Configuration GUI under "Connections". I added "RDP-tcp" manually guessing the proper settings and promptly the RDC was working, but I can still not log onto the HSC from another home computer (running Vista). The error I get is "The computer has lost conenction to your home server. Check ...".

After some playing around I noticed that if I entered a dummy password on the Vista machine into the WHS password box, the Username/Password logon box will come up after a while and then I can enter the Admisitrator/Password combination and successfully log onto the HSC.

The other problem is that User1, who has Remote Access rights as per the setup in the WHS, can not log onto the WHS either by RDC or WHS. Is that normal?

Your help would be appreciated - I am losing it! Thanks.

Regards,
    Claus.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Claus,
    this is indeed strange, since you enter the Administrator password on that initial screen.
    In the RDP-tcp settings is usually nothing special configured (i.e. programs to start etc).

For me it seems as if you run into an authentication error. Did you use any stored user names and passwords on your client to access the server?
    Remove them, logout and attempt again.
    Or did you change security settings for the Internet Information server on the WHS?
    You may also wish to check the event log of the server (especially the security log) for related logon failures.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:25 PM

All replies

• I would recommend a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that will preserve the data in your shares, and your home computer backup database. You'll have to recreate users (which will be reconnected with their user folder) rejoin computers, and reinstall add-ins that you really need. Of your list of add-ins, the only ones I would recommend reinstalling are avast! antivirus, and (maybe)TV Manager. You'll also have to reconfigure any customizations of your server that you may have performed outside of the WHS console (such as additional installed software).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Users can only login via Remote Access website directly to the WHS (some kind of, since the login to the console again requires the Administrator password). A local login (also via Remote Desktop) is only allowed for the account Administrator without touching deeper into the internals of how Windows Home Server is setup. So yes, that is normal.
    Best greetings from Germayn
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Thanks for the fast reply, Ken.

I have been trying to avoid that as it's the last resort (shame an add-in can effect WHS in such a way) and I am not keen on losing any data ...

I do have a Silicon Image Driver I needed to load when I installed WHS in order for the WHS machine to see the SATA drives connected to that - will that present a problem during the re-install? What are the chances of losing my data? I'll have a back-up of course ...

Also, is there a How-To for a re-install somewhere in addition to the on-screen instructions?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Claus.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

I would recommend a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that will preserve the data in your shares, and your home computer backup database. You'll have to recreate users (which will be reconnected with their user folder) rejoin computers, and reinstall add-ins that you really need. Of your list of add-ins, the only ones I would recommend reinstalling are avast! antivirus, and (maybe)TV Manager. You'll also have to reconfigure any customizations of your server that you may have performed outside of the WHS console (such as additional installed software).

I agree with Ken.  It looks like a Server Reinstallation is in your near future. :)  However, I disagree with Ken in terms of installing TV Manager.  I tried it in my VM WHS (which is something I believe everyone should do with any user-created add-in before installing it on your production server) and it was too buggy for me to consider installing it on my live server.  As for the other add-ins on your list, the only other one on your list that I use is the Disk Management add-in (which has worked for me since day one and appears to be rock solid).
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Claus_Au said:

Thanks for the fast reply, Ken.

I have been trying to avoid that as it's the last resort (shame an add-in can effect WHS in such a way) and I am not keen on losing any data ...

I do have a Silicon Image Driver I needed to load when I installed WHS in order for the WHS machine to see the SATA drives connected to that - will that present a problem during the re-install?

No.  You'll just have to provide the same drivers you did before at the same time(s) you did before.

Claus_Au said:

What are the chances of losing my data? I'll have a back-up of course ...

If you do Server Reinstallation, none.  It only formats the OS partition (it leaves everything else alone).

Claus_Au said:

Also, is there a How-To for a re-install somewhere in addition to the on-screen instructions?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Claus.

No.  Just boot from the WHS DVD and make sure all of your drives show up in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen.  Once you do that, the next screen should give you 2 options:  Server Reinstallation and New Installation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  If you don't get that option, don't go any further and post back here.  Also, at the end of the Reinstallation, it may appear to be frozen, but it's not.  It's just re-creating tombstones.  Just be patient and wait until you get the Welcome screen.

Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Thanks Olaf and kariya21 for your answers and helpful comments.

In reference to avast!, as suggested by Ken, I am also using that for my other computers and am happy with it.
    Have there ever been any issues reported with the WHS version that would suggest not to use it?

Thanks again ...

Claus.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Claus_Au said:

Thanks Olaf and kariya21 for your answers and helpful comments.

In reference to avast!, as suggested by Ken, I am also using that for my other computers and am happy with it.
    Have there ever been any issues reported with the WHS version that would suggest not to use it?

Thanks again ...

Claus.

Not for me.  I've been using it since it came out and I've had 0 problems with it.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Heh. I don't use TV Manager. However, from the description, it's one of those tools that, if you need it at all, you can't live without it. Thus "maybe"...
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:53 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Claus_Au said:

Thanks for the fast reply, Ken.

I do have a Silicon Image Driver I needed to load when I installed WHS in order for the WHS machine to see the SATA drives connected to that - will that present a problem during the re-install?

No.  You'll just have to provide the same drivers you did before at the same time(s) you did before.

Claus_Au said:

What are the chances of losing my data? I'll have a back-up of course ...

If you do Server Reinstallation, none.  It only formats the OS partition (it leaves everything else alone).

Claus_Au said:

Thanks.

Regards,
    Claus.

No.  Just boot from the WHS DVD and make sure all of your drives show up in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen.  Once you do that, the next screen should give you 2 options:  Server Reinstallation and New Installation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  If you don't get that option, don't go any further and post back here.  Also, at the end of the Reinstallation, it may appear to be frozen, but it's not.  It's just re-creating tombstones.  Just be patient and wait until you get the Welcome screen.

I am just in the process of trying this ... and I do not get the "Server Reinstallation" option!!
    Difference is that when I did the initial WHS install I had all drives disconnected except for the SYS drive and I disconnected these after the install was done.
    I suppose I need to remove all other drives except for the SYS drive to do this re-installation. Will adding the drives later on work?

Thanks.

Friday, January 2, 2009 12:37 AM
  • No, connecting them after installation is complete won't work. You need to have all your storage drives connected and visible on the hardware detection screen. If they aren't all visible, then you will need to supply storage drivers for those that aren't shown. If no drives are visible (likely if all your drives are SATA) then you will need to supply drivers twice. Once is at the hardware detection screen, and the second time is just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt in text mode setup for Windows Server 2003.

Friday, January 2, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

No, connecting them after installation is complete won't work. You need to have all your storage drives connected and visible on the hardware detection screen. If they aren't all visible, then you will need to supply storage drivers for those that aren't shown. If no drives are visible (likely if all your drives are SATA) then you will need to supply drivers twice. Once is at the hardware detection screen, and the second time is just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt in text mode setup for Windows Server 2003.

Thanks Ken.

I am at the "Windows Home Server Setup" screen (after booting from DVD), showing "Load Additional Storage Drivers".

ALL drives except a BACKUP volume are visible, six in total. One of those is the SYS drive (Vol 1, which is 20GB in size) and all other sincluding the remaining space on the hard drive that contains SYS (Vol 2) are called DATA. Thus all my Drive extender volumes are visible.
    However, I do not get the "Server reinstallation option.

The Disk containign the SYS is "Disk 4", and I have Disk 0 to Disk 5.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Claus.

Friday, January 2, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Hi Ken

I did some more seraching and found the following:

http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t4508.html

Drashna (WGS) suggests: "Yeah, I get this problem all the time. I have to remove all the IDE drives from me server to get the reinstall option. WHS looks to the first drive it finds, and not beyond that. However, if you are doing a reinstall, you can actually reconnect the drives at any point after that first reboot. I've actually connected them back after WHS was fully installed. Got some issues because a couple drives weren't present, obviously. But worked just fine."

Does that not work in your exereince?

Regards,
    Claus.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Claus_Au said:

Hi Ken

I did some more seraching and found the following:

http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t4508.html

Drashna (WGS) suggests: "Yeah, I get this problem all the time. I have to remove all the IDE drives from me server to get the reinstall option. WHS looks to the first drive it finds, and not beyond that. However, if you are doing a reinstall, you can actually reconnect the drives at any point after that first reboot. I've actually connected them back after WHS was fully installed. Got some issues because a couple drives weren't present, obviously. But worked just fine."

Does that not work in your exereince?

Regards,
    Claus.

I've never tried that and I wouldn't attempt it without having backups of everything first.  My suggestion would be to (if possible) re-organize your drives so the primary drive is connected to port 0.  Are all of your drives the same type (either all SATA or all PATA), or are they mixed (some of each)?
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Hi Claus,
    your only chance, to get the Reinstall option is to get the primary drive detected as Disk 0.
    This is usually been done by rearranging the cables on the SATA ports and/or by adjusting the boot sequence in the Bios.

IF you know, which of the physical disks is the BACKUP disk, you can disconnect that drive for the time.

Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback.

I managed to get the SYS/DATA drive to be Disk 0! That is the end of the good news ... I still don't get the "Server Reinstallation" option.

So now I have:
    Disk/Vol   Size      Bus/FS   Name
    Disk0        298GB    ATA
     Vol1         20GB      NTFS       SYS
     Vol2         278GB    NTFS       DATA
    Disk1        232GB    ATA
     Vol1         232GB    NTFS       DATA
    Disk2        233GB    ATA
     Vol1         233GB    NTFS       DATA
    Disk3        233GB    ATA
     Vol1         233GB    NTFS       DATA
    Disk4        298GB    ATA
     Vol1         298GB    NTFS       DATA
    Disk5        232GB    ATA
     Vol1         232GB    NTFS       DATA

These are all of the drives that contain data and are part of the pool - the missing drive is a 500GB BACKUP drive.

Any suggestons now please (apart from getting ready to perform acts of violence on the box)? :-)

Thanks.

Claus.

Friday, January 2, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Hi Claus,
    can you get by chance your system disk connected in a way, that the SATA controller to which it is attached is running in IDE compatibility mode? Since the mass storage drivers in this case are included, the chances are better, that you get the server reinstall offered.
    If still not, there may be something wrong with the data. Unfortunately I don't know which are the triggers to get setup offering a server reinstall.
    The only option in this case could be, to disconnect the data drives, copy all files, which you can find on the system drives DATA volume  in the hidden folder DE\shares (toggle the Show hidden files and folders in Control Panel/Folder Options/View) to a safe location after attaching the disk to a client PC and start a fresh install (or you use another disk for this, which you may have spare).
    After this is completed and the Windows upgrades have been applied, you can attach one disk again, login locally to the server and copy the files from the subfolders of DE\shares to subfolders you can access via the shortcut Shared Folders on server on the WHS desktop.
    After finishing this you can add that disk to the storage pool and go on with the next disk. A tedious task and the client backups will be gone, but sometimes there seems to be no other way.
    Best greetings froom Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Back to the original problem (not being able to login via RDC/console, which is basically the same):
    Did you install at any time a video driver from NVidia/ATI?
    In this case saving the following lines ina .REG file and importing this after logging in locally to your home server could also help:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    “SessionImageSize”=dword:00000020

Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Back to the original problem (not being able to login via RDC/console, which is basically the same):
    In this case saving the following lines ina .REG file and importing this after logging in locally to your home server could also help:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Olaf

Hi Olaf

You seem to be on the right track - instead of coming up with the error I mentioned before the HSC now comes up with the logon screen.
    Not ideal, but a start ...

Thanks.

Any other ideas?
    How can I get the HSC logon to go directly to the HSC?

Thanks,
    Claus.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Back to the original problem (not being able to login via RDC/console, which is basically the same):

Olaf

Hi Olaf

As mentioned this is working now (in some sort of fashion), but it is really slow!
    Does anyone know the default Terminal Services Configuration Connections for a default WHS?

Maybe my configuration issue ...

Regards,
    Claus.

Friday, January 2, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Hi Claus,
    what do you mean with logon screen? A normal Windows Logon screen or the WHS console asking for the password?
    What does mean HSC: Home Server Connector? Console?
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 3:15 PM
  • I mean the WHS Console after initially only asking for a password asking for username/password (the username defaults to Administrator) via a standard logon screen.
    HSC means Home Server Console, as initaited by a clien PC on the home network.

Danke Olaf.

Regards,
    Claus.

Friday, January 2, 2009 3:21 PM
  • Hi Claus,
    this is indeed strange, since you enter the Administrator password on that initial screen.
    In the RDP-tcp settings is usually nothing special configured (i.e. programs to start etc).

For me it seems as if you run into an authentication error. Did you use any stored user names and passwords on your client to access the server?
    Remove them, logout and attempt again.
    Or did you change security settings for the Internet Information server on the WHS?
    You may also wish to check the event log of the server (especially the security log) for related logon failures.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:25 PM