Storing XP backups RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed windows XP machines to be used only for upgrade qualification to install windows 7 RTM on the 22nd.

What options are available to keep permanent backup images to be used for future reinstalls?  If they are copied to
    external HDD's, it appears they cannot be transferred back to WHS.  (write protected).  It appears that the best
    available option is to leave them on the WHS and set them to "keep".  Have I overlooked a better solution?
    73/oldsarge7056
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:28 PM

Answers

• If you want archival copies of those PCs at a point in time, Windows Home Server isn't the best place to keep them. The backup database is vulnerable to disk damage, OS corruption, etc. and once the database is damaged, it's likely that some or all of your backups will be lost. In other words, Windows Home Server isn't designed to store archival disk images for long periods, it's designed to get your home computers back to last night's state after a disk failure.

My suggestion would be disk images on external drives (use more than one drive, and keep copies of each desired image on multiple drives). There are many tools which will create and reapply disk images for you; I happen to use Acronis TrueImage...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 19, 2009 5:20 PM