logon problem after restore: GP Client Service failed the logon RRS feed

• Question

• I restored my vista64 workstation last night and now it wont logon for any user, except in safe mode. Booting the vista install DVD and doing a startup repair doesn't help.

The error:
    "The Group Policy Client Service failed the logon

Access is Denied"

The service can't be disabled and now I'm stuck.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I remember that this appeared on Vista in the early days and at that time it was related to NTUser.dat.
    Don't know if yours is the same problem.
    Another possibility is that the profile has become corrupted somehow during the restore. Can you get into the PC in safe mode or using the Vista DVD? If so, it could be worthwhile doing so and running regedit. In there, navigate to: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ and then rename the guid to say, guid1 and try rebooting.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Well, that did allow me to logon but, of course, all my installed SW and settings are gone. Now how do I get my old profiles restored if WHS restore isn't working?

Actually, did it become corrupt during the backup or the restore? Either way this is a problem. I never had problems with corruption restoring XP workstations.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

You should be able to copy Profile Settings; these are available through Control Panel\System - Advanced System Settings. There is a Settings button under the User Profiles section, so (if you are a full Admin), Click the profile you want to copy then click Copy to and type in or browse for the profile you want to overwrite and click the Permitted to use button and add all user accounts that you want to give full control of the profile to.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:00 PM
  • That's not working and the Admin account is corrupt too. There has to be a way to restore unless the backups are bad. The profile was fine until I tried the first restore.

It looks like I'm going to have to restore from a year+ old Acronis backup and reinstall everything I've added since. WHS backup and/or restore shouldn't be corrupting profiles and now I can't trust it if I can't restore my workstation with it.

I've tried restoring from 2 different backups, both are the same. I know the connector has changed but has the restore CD changed recently too? Something has to be causing the corruption...

Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, there haven't been any restore changes. It's not any help to you, but in fact, for a requested WHS Team test, I've just finished running some restores (differing switch/router combo's for stream control), and have today finalised an XP 32bit, a Vista 32 & 64bit and a Windows 7 32bit; all went without a hitch.

If you have another Client available, you could try attaching the corrupted drive and use the Client Restore Wizard on that machine, or alternatively using it to open an existing backup and extracting the appropriate profile. That would eliminate the Restore CD from the equation.

Colin

Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:44 PM
  • I'm sure not everyone is having the same issues but I am and if I can' t restore via WHS, then my backups just take up space. I should have made an Acronis backup before restoring and that's my fault but WHS should have restored properly too, imo. I also find if odd that both the admin and my user account are now both corrupt, with two different backups.

I do have another client available on the LAN that has access to WHS. I guess I should try that manual restore before restoring a year old image...
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Removing the drive, adding to another client, opening the WHS backup and manually copying the profiles didn't work. While the backups succeeded without errors, clearly something is wrong. I could try other WHS backups (3-4 hours each) or I can restore the very old Acronis image that I know works. I used to have confidence in WHS backups, now I feel that I can't trust them.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Could you please submit a bug report on Connect?

Also a couple of questions: Is the laptop you're trying to restore domain-joined? Do your users use roaming profiles?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:27 AM
  • It's not a laptop, not joined to a domain and uses local profiles. ;)

Is there way to raise the priority of the restore process when booting from the restore cd or otherwise speed it up over my gigabit LAN? 3-4 hours per restore is a bit much.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:50 AM
  • Sorry, while I've seen what you described, it was a laptop, domain joined, and it used a roaming profile (for some stupid reason; why would you do that on a laptop after all? :) ). It also wasn't a WHS problem. In that case we deleted the profile on the laptop in question and everything was fine.

As for increasing the priority of the restore, it's the only thing running on the client, and the client will normally consume data from the backup engine on the server as fast as it can process it. 3-4 hours actually sounds about right, if you have a lot of data to restore.

That has nothing to do with your original problem, though. I can tell you that I've restored a Vista x64 system with about 350 GB over 3 partitions, and it completed just fine. I can't tell you exactly how long it took, because I let it run overnight, but it would have been several hours based on the progress bar and how long I waited before I went to bed. So I think it's something about your environment that's causing any unusual delays, and causing the issue you're experiencing.

Back to questions: Bitlocker? Other encryption software?

Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:22 AM
  • No encryption and only ~125G used on 1 partition for the whole drive.

I'm now working on the 5th restore, hoping that this one wont be corrupt...
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Okay. Have you submitted that bug on Connect? Include server logs extracted using the WHS Toolkit if you haven't, and post the issue ID form Connect back here.

In addition, there are a couple of log files that the restore CD can optionally create: homeserverpcrestore.log and homeserverpcrestore_update.log. It looks for them in the root of a flash drive and will log to them if it finds them. Including those in the bug report as well would probably be useful.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:03 PM
  • During the 7th attempted restore (last night) it failed in the middle. Afterward, the previous failed backups had been deleted and since I couldn't restore as far back as I needed I started the 8th restore which was a manual backup that I had made just before trying to restore to the older backups. That restore worked so I'm back where I started. Since the older backups failed to restore my only options are a year old Acronis image or a fresh install and it's a PITA to reconfigure all of my outlook2007 accounts so I think I'll wait a while and figure out what I want to do.

I didn't file a bug report since the backup cleanup deleted the problem backups last night I can no longer replicate it.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

I am suffered the same issue, and I tried to rename the user profile in regedit, actually it can work after I did this. But this issue will occur maybe in next day. and this occur several times.

Are there any solution for this issue?

Thanks in advanced.

Monday, May 28, 2012 3:03 AM