WGA Validation Tool can't be installed RRS feed

• Question

• Windows update is refusing to install WGA, so I can't update anything.

I have tried several times now.

No further information or error codes. I just get the error message:

Some updates were not installed

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

Help please!

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PBFT6-KYKMM-GTM98
    Windows Product Key Hash: j9eysU54r5/ciZrTLmo/Eo7pduE=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2213956-54335
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {C9E76972-5B35-4CE8-91E9-28D325C68DD4}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.3.272.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2968-80070002_B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C9E76972-5B35-4CE8-91E9-28D325C68DD4}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-GTM98</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2213956-54335</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-329068152-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MSI                             </Manufacturer><Model>MS-6380E                        </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>07.00T                          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>578A338701842069</HWID><UserLCID>0406</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Romance Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, November 4, 2007 1:35 PM

Answers

• Kim,

Thank you for the information. Right now I believe the problem which you are experiencing resides with Windows Update and this would fall outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. Should you experience problems while updating Windows please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page. Here you will find assistance in solving the Windows Updates difficulties.  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are located here:  http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us  which may address questions you have.  Also you may visit the Windows Update Solution Center located here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527  .

Another alternative site is the Microsoft Product Communities located @:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/products/default_mspx   .  

Next please locate a Community for a Microsoft Product or Technology which you require assistance. Example, Windows XP is located in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Should you need XP assistance please double click on the above link and you will find a wealth of information.

You may also visit the Windows Expert zone newsgroup forum and post Windows Update questions for further assistance. The Expert zone forum can be visited here:   http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US 

Thank you Kim,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Kim,

Curious do you have any firewall, routers or spyware set up which could block the ActiveX control from installing on your system? Next I would like for you to try and manually download and install the WGA control. Please follow the directions below:

1.       Click the Start button, then click “Run”

2.       Type in “iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204” then click ‘OK’. You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”.

3.       Choose Open. Once this completes, a window will open showing two files, LegitCheckControl.dll and LegitCheckControl.inf. Leave this window open for now.

4.       Click the Start button, then click “Run”

5.       Type in “system32”, then click ‘OK’. (If you are running Windows XP, you may need to click “show files” to allow access to this system directory.)

6.       Drag the LegitCheckControl.dll file from the window that was open into the system32 directory. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose ‘Yes’ to overwrite any existing file. (If you are running Vista, you may be prompted to provide administrator permission to complete the action. If so, press “Continue” and allow it.)

7.       Click the Start button, then click “Run”

8.       Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

9.       You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded.”

Please let us know if this helped you. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, November 5, 2007 9:17 PM
  •  

Thanks a lot!

Manually installing LegitCheckControl.dll helped. The existing file was much smaller and from 2005.

And I don't have anything setup to block ActiveX, at least not that I know of.

It's a freshly installed Windows XP, only using the built in firewall and the router I use on another pc also.

EDIT: No, it didn't help much after all.

I got past the first installation of the WGA and it started downloading 57 high priority updates.

The download was fine, but after that I quickly got 57 "installation failed" messages so something is blocking the updates from being installed.

I still dont get any error messages, just the "Failed updates" page, where they are all listed.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kim

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Kim,

There are two parts: updates download to the computer, then the installation process. Are the files actually downloading to your system then failing the installation process or are they not downloading whatsoever to your computer?  Also are you having any problems accessing other websites? Who is your highspeed provider? Thank you Kim :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 5:39 PM
  •  

Stephen,

They files have been successfully downloaded. I can see that because if I try to run the update again, the download is skipped and it attempts to install the updates right away.

I'm not having problems with any other websites.

My ISP is a big ISP in Denmark, but I got 2 other computers connected to the same router using the same ISP without any problems.

Thanks,

Kim

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Kim,

Thank you for the information. Right now I believe the problem which you are experiencing resides with Windows Update and this would fall outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. Should you experience problems while updating Windows please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page. Here you will find assistance in solving the Windows Updates difficulties.  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are located here:  http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us  which may address questions you have.  Also you may visit the Windows Update Solution Center located here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527  .

Another alternative site is the Microsoft Product Communities located @:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/products/default_mspx   .  

Next please locate a Community for a Microsoft Product or Technology which you require assistance. Example, Windows XP is located in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Should you need XP assistance please double click on the above link and you will find a wealth of information.

You may also visit the Windows Expert zone newsgroup forum and post Windows Update questions for further assistance. The Expert zone forum can be visited here:   http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US 

Thank you Kim,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:30 PM