none
system and hidden attributes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Is there any way to have SyncToy ignore changes to the system and hidden attributes?
    To explain why I ask:
    I have a NAS on which I keep my master copy of all my media files (music, video etc) as it is on 24x7 and any computer in the house can reach it. However, it has a bug and keeps marking all files as being system and hidden. There is no ETA on a bug fix.
    I want to use SyncToy to keep a copy of these media files on my Media Centre PC; that way the media centre PC acts as a backup and also speeds up local access for itself. However, the files sync'd from the NAS come across with the system and hidden attributes so Media Center does not catalogue them in its library. If I manually remove the attributes on the media center PC, then SyncToy will register that as a change and copy across the whole lot again!
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:52 AM

All replies

• HI gufferuk,

Would you like one way sync from NAS to your Media Centre PC?
    There is a easy way to solve your problem. create a sync folder pair with ECHO, left folder as your NAS and right folder as your Media Centre PC.

Your manually attributes changes will NOT sync back to NAS.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 3:52 AM
  • HI gufferuk,

I have Share out some knwoledge about SyncToy Actions, Hope it can help:

---------------------

Echo

The echo action will make copies of files that are new and changed on the left to the right.  New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right. Folder creates, folder deletes and folder updates on the left are repeated on the right.

For example, when you travel, you take a copy of your pictures, tunes, and documents to work on. When you return, you want SyncToy to notice the files you added, changed, deleted, and renamed in the left folder, and you want SyncToy to recreate those additions, changes, deletions, and renames in the right folder. Echo is very similar to Synchronize, except Echo works only left to right.

Echo is the SyncToy action to use.

• Every file in the left folder that is new or changed is copied to the right folder.
    • Every file in the left folder that has been renamed is renamed in the right folder.
    • Every file that was deleted from the left folder is deleted in the right folder.
    • <label id="note">Note: </label>SyncToy does not actually delete any files by default. It merely moves the files to the Recycle Bin. To change this behavior, uncheck the "Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin" option in the folder pair option window.
    • No left folder files are deleted, or renamed.
    • No files are copied from right to left.
    • Right folder files are deleted.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 4:19 AM

• Many thanks to your description! Now I got it.
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:34 AM