Windows XP Pro cd key being rejected. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently i have tried to reinstall Windows XP to my computer, however the CD key I received through the MSDAA is no longer being accepted. I am using the same CD and CD key I received through the program however it gets rejected during installation. Is there anything that may cause this to happen. There have been no hardware changes to my computer in a few years. I have been running a XP/Ubuntu dual boot for a little over a year with 2 successful reinstalls of XP in that time. I have tried removing the Linux OS and reinstalling XP with the same results.

The CD and CD key are both for Windows XP Professional.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Himegami,

There is no licensing or anti-piracy reason this would happen. as long as the key is Valid, it should work. Even if the key had been leaked to the internet and Microsoft Blocked it (for example), XP would still accept the key, you just wouldn't be able to Activate.

My only suggestions would be to reinstall XP (in case it's just a bad install) and/or confirm you are reading the key correctly (it can be common for two V's to look like a 'W', Q's to look like a '0' or 'O' and so on).

If you still have problems, I recommend posting in the "Install, Upgrade and Activate" section of the Windows XP Answers Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hello Himegami,

There is no licensing or anti-piracy reason this would happen. as long as the key is Valid, it should work. Even if the key had been leaked to the internet and Microsoft Blocked it (for example), XP would still accept the key, you just wouldn't be able to Activate.

My only suggestions would be to reinstall XP (in case it's just a bad install) and/or confirm you are reading the key correctly (it can be common for two V's to look like a 'W', Q's to look like a '0' or 'O' and so on).

If you still have problems, I recommend posting in the "Install, Upgrade and Activate" section of the Windows XP Answers Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi Darin,

I'm trying to reinstall XP Pro on a computer where the System file was corrupted. Trying to enter the OEM key for XP Pro, and an error is generated. How should I proceed?

Thanks,

Vincent 

Respect & Ride...dont torque too much!
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:21 AM
  • "Skorpion777" wrote in message news:b97dce8e-a2c2-4349-ba8f-2c040b6689c2...

Hi Darin,

I'm trying to reinstall XP Pro on a computer where the System file was corrupted. Trying to enter the OEM key for XP Pro, and an error is generated. How should I proceed?

Thanks,

Vincent 

Respect & Ride...dont torque too much!

Sounds like you may be using a Retail disk - you have to use either the Recovery disks for the system, or an OEM System Builder disk.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 8:13 AM