WHS migration RRS feed

• Question

• Ok...

So I have a home built Frankenserver... But I want to go ahead and pick upa retail WHS box... (Smaller size, lower power consumption, thigns like that)... I have a HDD setup on my current server to backup the data on the server itself. Can I just take that drive, setup the new server, and used the old server backup drive to restore the data to the new server? Or can I take that drive, hook it up to a PC, and copy the data manually...

How does migrating servers work out?

ANy word on Windows 7 compatability? I plan to upgrade all my PC's to it when it launches...
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    yes, you can restore the server with either method (given Power Pack 1 is installed). If you can give the new server another name, but use the same password for the console, you could also login to the new server and copy the data directly from the shared folders on the old server to the shared folders on the new server (or use a client PC to do so, if you have a user who has access to all shares on the old and new server).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 16, 2009 9:26 PM
  • PittaOnzJ00 said:

ANy word on Windows 7 compatability? I plan to upgrade all my PC's to it when it launches...

The current connector will install on the current Windows 7 beta. Some users have had problems, I believe with restoring loose files, but I have no details (I've had no problems personally).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 16, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    yes, you can restore the server with either method (given Power Pack 1 is installed). If you can give the new server another name, but use the same password for the console, you could also login to the new server and copy the data directly from the shared folders on the old server to the shared folders on the new server (or use a client PC to do so, if you have a user who has access to all shares on the old and new server).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 16, 2009 9:26 PM
  • PittaOnzJ00 said:

The current connector will install on the current Windows 7 beta. Some users have had problems, I believe with restoring loose files, but I have no details (I've had no problems personally).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 16, 2009 9:50 PM