none
Exam 70-740 Installation, Storage and Compute with Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I need some advice please!

I have been trying to study for the above exam. I purchased the Microsoft Press book and I bought the Transcender Practice exam. Now I am utterly confused about how to prepare for the exam!

The book....The Author knows his stuff, but it is long winded, riddled with mistakes and typing errors that really knock your concentration right off. 

The Transcender Exam.... A lot of the questions have answers that are not even in the book or covered by it! Such as SMB dialects...!!

I have came to the conclusion....I need some serious help here!!

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 12:09 PM

Answers

• That's typically the way things go.  If you don't get a lab with the book they're usually not covering the same material.  I've found that the Microsoft Press books really only seem to cover the basics of the material on the exam.  You'll want to get your hands on trying and doing as much of it as you can.  If you have the resources for it, I'd recommend setting up a virtual with Server 2016 on it that way you can have hands on experience with what everything is.  The hands on experience makes it significantly easier since you'll be familiar with doing whatever task they're asking.  Books and practice tests are great but if you really want to solidify the knowledge and it be practical you'll want to do some of your own testing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016/

Was there a specific question other than what might help you out with preparing?

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Yes, definitely shouldn't test anything in a production environment. I'd say you have some time yet, most companies don't adopt right away so there isn't any point rushing through it unless it's some sort of requirement or you're on a deadline for it.

Best of luck preparing.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:34 PM

All replies

• That's typically the way things go.  If you don't get a lab with the book they're usually not covering the same material.  I've found that the Microsoft Press books really only seem to cover the basics of the material on the exam.  You'll want to get your hands on trying and doing as much of it as you can.  If you have the resources for it, I'd recommend setting up a virtual with Server 2016 on it that way you can have hands on experience with what everything is.  The hands on experience makes it significantly easier since you'll be familiar with doing whatever task they're asking.  Books and practice tests are great but if you really want to solidify the knowledge and it be practical you'll want to do some of your own testing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016/

Was there a specific question other than what might help you out with preparing?

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Very true!! Right now just want to get through the exam. A server is my next step. Bought the practice lab from Transcender too. Some times that gets patched and I cannot get in...but hey ho! I'll need a server at some point  as I dont want any testing in a production environment. I have a server running ESX that I use for a lab..so dont want to reformat it. Right now I guess not too many people have Win2016 either, so just need to burst through and get my head around the exam I think!
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Yes, definitely shouldn't test anything in a production environment. I'd say you have some time yet, most companies don't adopt right away so there isn't any point rushing through it unless it's some sort of requirement or you're on a deadline for it.

Best of luck preparing.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:34 PM
  • It was just me pushing myself!

Over the years I've noticed that contractors that have Microsoft or A.N Other certs get the red carpet laid down for them. Get treated as if they are special. Thing is, when it hits the fan, the majority of these guys disappear from dealing with the fault and leave guys like myself to deal with it. In the meantime, they always stab you in the back.

I have to say there is a balance to this too, I have worked with some great lads that have their certs too. Unfortunately they are a much rarer breed!

I have been working on the older Windows Platforms over the last two years. Winnt40, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, and windows 2008. So when I picked up the 70-740 book I thought it was mind blowing and really studied the book.

I am so disappointed in the process of achieving MCSA 2016. I really am, it's about learning things by rote. It's not about understanding anything, in my humble opinion. They technology at your fingertips with Win2016 is marvelous. I now think...it's better I rebuild my ESX box, see what it can do and if it needs replaced. Then make myself in to a better engineer and blast through technical interviews.

I use the HP Proliant Mini Towers. Really nice small foot print. I checked out the prices of CNAs and PCIe Nics. Unfortunately....I wont be buying soon. But my last real use of Powershell was Ver 2.0. Command shells are king...I need to update my powershell as I had to relearn VBScript on my last contract.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciated it.

Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:09 AM